Configure a knob to REAL endless output rotation?

pibo

2008-11-17 01:02:34

Hi,

I have read many posts about endless rotation, but I haven´t found a complete solution for this.

I would like to know how to configure a knob to make an endless output of -1 to the left and +1 to the right (each solution you left here stops when reaching 0 left and 127 right).

When I say endless rotation I mean the data passed, not the physical movement of the knob (which obviously does the complete rotation).

For example, can it be used to navigate a 1.000 song list from top to bottom? Or to control a 360º HSI in a plane on Flight Sim?

I am using a Novation Nocturn with Automap.

TIA

florian

2008-11-24 23:04:34

problem is, most MIDI messages only support the range of 0..127. Endless encoders do not output values, but just the information that you turned a "notch" to the right, or to the left. If your target application supports such encoders, you probably don't need MT because you already have an endless encoder :)

If your software does not support MIDI, you can use MT's MIDI-to-keystroke translation: output one keystroke (combination) when turning to the right, another one when turning to the left. That'll make it easy to browse 1000's of files.

Hope that is a lead for you...
Florian

pibo

2008-11-24 23:33:06

florian wrote:If your software does not support MIDI, you can use MT's MIDI-to-keystroke translation: output one keystroke (combination) when turning to the right, another one when turning to the left. That'll make it easy to browse 1000's of files.
In Flight Simulator X, I have configured the "course dec." with the keystroke 'shift+4' and "course inc." with 'shift+5': the first turns from the actual possition to the left in degrees, and the second, to the right (this turn would be endless, while pressing these keystrokes). Is it possible to assign this behaviour to a knob using MT? Can you give an example of the MT´s rules to do that, please?

Thank you very much in advance for your support.

florian

2008-11-25 11:26:59

what's your MIDI controller? does it have a rotary encoder? what MIDI message(s) does it send when turning slowly, and what when turning fast, to right and to the left? You can check that with "Capture MIDI" in editing a translator.

Thanks,
Florian

pibo

2008-11-25 17:59:24

Hi Florian:

(1)What's your MIDI controller?
Novation Nocturn (with Automap): http://www.novationmusic.com/products/m ... l/nocturn/

(2) Does it have a rotary encoder?
Yes, 8 endless knobs.

(3) What MIDI message(s) does it send when turning slowly, and what when turning fast, to right and to the left?
It sends the same MIDI messages when turning slowly and fast.

MIDI Messages clockwise (to the right, from 0 to 127): CC#1: Bank select MSB
B0 00 00 to B0 00 7F

MIDI Messages anti-clockwise (to the left, from 127 to 0): CC#1: Bank select MSB
B0 00 7F to B0 00 00

NOTE: Within the Automap software, the range of the knob can be configured from 0 to 127, 0 to 1, -64 to 63, etc. if needed

Thanks again

florian

2008-11-30 21:06:23

in automap, can't you configure it to be "really endless", i.e. send always the same message when turning to the right, and another one when to the left, e.g.

B0 00 01 -> turn "one notch" to left
B0 00 41 -> turn "one notch" to right

That would simplify matters. Otherwise I believe that the only thing you can do is the "absolute to relative", or "controller to endless knob" translation.

Thanks,
Florian