encoder acceleration - slow turn sends midi message1/fast...

mr.????

2008-11-16 07:58:41

hi,
I have a problem and consider to buy Bomes because of that.

I have a brc2000 and I want that a slow turn (few ++ or -- over time) from an encoder sends midi message #1 and a fast turn (a lot ++ or -- over time) sends midi message #2.

I need this, because I want to control two functions with one encoder. As said before:

slow turn -> message 1
fast turn -> message 2

Is there a way to do this in Bomes?

If not, maybe you can give me a hint how to do that?

Thanks!

fanboi

2008-11-16 23:53:42

mr.???? wrote:hi,
I have a problem and consider to buy Bomes because of that.

I have a brc2000 and I want that a slow turn (few ++ or -- over time) from an encoder sends midi message #1 and a fast turn (a lot ++ or -- over time) sends midi message #2.

I need this, because I want to control two functions with one encoder. As said before:

slow turn -> message 1
fast turn -> message 2

Is there a way to do this in Bomes?

If not, maybe you can give me a hint how to do that?

Thanks!
no idea, but if can add a modifier button to it you should be able to make two presets that outputs the same cc on the output.

this thread here http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2234
does about the same. i assigned it to 4 buttons (+- normal and +- slow), made two presets with the same rules, but different (ga+N)assignments, slightly different timer settings, and they output the same cc message on the output. you could then make a preset toggler that deactivates the slow macro on the modifier button and activates the fast switcher, then vice versa when turned off, it should work. in theory :)

pretty sure theres a way cooler way to do it though, but hey. i dont know this enough to do that. just started with rules and whatnots myself so yeah. but in theory that should work anyways.

florian

2008-11-24 18:41:29

Hi Mr.????,
yes, this is possible with MT Pro, though it depends a little bit what the brc2000's encoder is sending. Some encoders send different values, depending on how fast you turn it. If the brc2000 does that, it's easy to detect that, e.g. like below. I assume:
- the encoder sends on CC#2
- it sends 0x40 when turning to the right, 0x41 or higher when turning faster
- it sends 0x00 when turning to the right, 0x01 or higher when turning faster
- you want to send CC#5 for slow, and CC#6 for fast movements

Approach:
- the value is captured in variable pp
- in the rules, the outgoing CC is set in variable qq (according to the speed)

Code: Select all

TRANSLATOR: Encoder 1
INCOMING: MIDI B0 02 pp
RULES:
 IF pp=0x00 THEN GOTO "slow"
 IF pp=0x40 THEN GOTO "slow"
 Label "fast"
 qq=6
 exit rules, execute outgoing action
 Label "slow"
 qq=5
OUTGOING: MIDI B0 qq pp
If the BRC always sends the same message, no matter how fast you turn, things get a little more tricky. Let me know...

Florian