Gating help?

S4racen

2008-11-09 18:18:18

Hi all,

Watching an old moldover video he demonstrates gating an audio signal by tapping the black keys of his keyboard (with plastic stuck to them to make them wider.....

The thing is i'm trying to replicate this with just one button on my padkontrol, i'm usinf farmpad so can configure the pad as a toggle or a trigger or even retrigger which is note on with every press and no note off.....

What i want to do is on the first press of the button send a note on message and then when i let go it should send a note off message, when i map this to the channel live button (the one with the number that goes orange or grey depending on it's monitor status, sorry i don''t know it's official title) this will turn the channel off.... When i press the button agan it's note on time making the signal live again and then releasing = off and so on and so one.....

The challenge is i want to suppress the note off message if i leave the note on for more than say two seconds..... Like pressing the button to bring the fader up and then stabbing the fader in as many times as i want until i hold the button down long enough for the control to disable until the next time i press it?

I have bomes so i'm thinking the result will be found in that but as i trawl the interweb for the solution can anyone save me some time and point me in the right direction?

Cheers
D

florian

2008-11-24 16:50:07

OK, so if I understand you correctly: you need a way to ignore the "button up" message, if the "button down" was more than 2 seconds ago.

There is no clock available in MT Pro, but you can use the Timer feature to set a flag after 2 seconds.

Code: Select all

1. Send thru Note On
Incoming: MIDI [button down]
Outgoing: MIDI [note on]

2. Start 2 second timer on button down
Incoming: MIDI [button down, same as above]
Rules:
 ga=0
Outgoing: Set Timer "Long button", execute once, initial delay=2000ms

3. set the flag ga when timer expired after 2 seconds
Incoming: Timer "Long button"
Rules:
 ga=1
Outgoing: <none>

4. When releasing the button, send it thru IF flag ga is not set
Incoming: MIDI [button up]
Rules:
 if ga=1 exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: [Note Off message]
When do you want to send the Note Off message then?

Florian

S4racen

2008-11-30 18:22:19

Hi Florian,

I found the solution i was looking for with follow actions within ableton, with it i could even quantize the response down to beats rather than seconds....

Now searching on creating shift functions for two xone 1d's connected in midi patchbay and feeding through to MT...

Cheers
D