A preset within a preset? Ableton

feno

2008-10-31 02:22:06

Hi all....shameful noob here....I've started making simple translator presets for looping with ableton

I'm now attempting something way beyond my "skill" level and I'm wondering if it can be done.....

the input to bome will be from a midi pedal sending program change mesages 1 to 10 (these are constants and do not change)

there wil be 6 presets which I'll want to change manually (with a midi controller)..
on "preset 1" I would like the program change messages 1-10 to output as midi cc values 1-10
on "preset 2" ; program change 1-10 wil output cc 11-20
on "preset 3"; program change 1-10 will output cc 21-30
and so on untill preset 6

(no problems there right?)

where I'm starting to get a little hazy is, say I'm in preset 1...I press "3" on my pedal..program change 3 is sent to bome......cc 3 is then sent to ableton and triggers a clip into record.....what i'd LOVE now is to..
...press "4" on my pedal..program change 4 is sent to bome.......not only does bome output cc 4 (causing a new clip to record) but bome also outputs cc 3 THUS CAUSING THE PREVIOUSLY RECORDED CLIP (cc3) TO STOP RECORDING.....

this last piece of functionality is available in the excellent "kid beyond" thread. However, it requires the use of an extra preset; something which I no longer have....(i think)......

The title of this thread just about sums it up, it wil probably require a preset within a preset...but as already mentioned, I'm a total noob so maybe there is another way around it?

If anyone actually understands what I've just written (i've just read through it....my head hurts!) I am in complete awe of you....! If you can then tell me how I might actually go about doing this you will be forever remembered as the greatest forum friend EVER.. Free pints if you ever come to Cork also!
Thank You
jamie

feno

2008-10-31 10:43:22

anyone :)

red33mer

2008-10-31 11:07:17

give the people a little more time than a few hours.... :roll:

feno

2008-10-31 11:15:04

oh sorry..I'm just starting this now so said i'd bump before i start :oops:

feno

2008-10-31 17:37:11

sorted :D

florian

2008-10-31 19:38:14

Hey feno,

that means you have solved what you wanted to achieve? That's great!

Would you mind posting the preset here? In the Windows version, you can just select all Translators, copy, and then paste them here in a "code" section.

Thanks!
Florian

feno

2008-10-31 19:47:33

i'm on mac...do i just upload the btmp file?

fanboi

2008-11-30 23:26:43

feno wrote:i'm on mac...do i just upload the btmp file?
any updates on this? cause im in a similar situation and would like to get my diy pedal setup to wkr as this aswell.

feno

2008-12-01 03:15:06

hi again Fanboi, i'm still workin on the new one....dn't really want to give out the old one as the newer one is a lot better... I have it all written down, just need to put it down in bomes wn i get a chance...busy busy! check back towards the nrw year and i promise i'll put it up. in the meantime if ya want the old one just send me your email

jamie

fanboi

2008-12-01 17:45:24

right. email coming your way then, because i am very interested in this aswell, optimised or not optimised. mainly the theory and the code behind it ;)

ofcourse im interested in the new one aswell, but until then an email is coming in a pm in about 30 seconds. have a nice day.

edit: or to be more precise, its coming here since i cant pm you it seems like heh.

gbsr[at]nwrecords.com

feno

2008-12-02 02:21:03

Sent :)

feno

2008-12-02 03:45:55

Here follows the email sent to fanboi
Said I'd put this up as I had the time to properly explain it.... keep an eye out for the new one which I should get a chance to do around the christmas holidays. it follows on from this one and has a nice "end sequence" thingameebob which allows solo playback of instruments within a scene (good for endings!)

Jamie

Hi fanboi....briefly just a talk about my set up.....I have a ten footswitch pedal that sends out program changes 9 to 18...i have other banks on my pedal which are set up for different thigs which will probably become clear to you once you fiddle around with the .btmp and .als files

Also my pedal went a little fucked up not so long ago and started sending out PC messages 1 unit lower than what they were supposed to be.......(they used to be PC 10 to 19) this will probably become apparent by the labels in the Btmp file which are one unit off what the actual "incoming" message should be.....(i didnt bother renaming them as i had started my new project)

Confused yet?..luckily once you get your head around these little quirks, you should have yourself a pretty cool looping system...

Basic methodology is as follows
(I'm gonna call my pedals 9 to 18 so as they correspond to their respective Program Change number)

9, 10, 11 and 27 select scenes 1, 2, 3, & 4 (in ableton) respectively

14, 15 & 16 selects the instrument to be looped .....corresponding to vocals, nylon, guitar (in ableton) respectively....
when, say, 14 is pressed....abe will start recording on the first vocal track

next, is the key to using the least amount of pedals for the most functionality, and this is governed by pedals 12 & 13
12 I call the "layer" button and does exactly what you might expect....layers up whatever track you just selected, and also doubles as a "resume" function if you choose to take a break from "layering" (see below)

13 is the "stop" button.....it stops layering on the current instrument

Anytime the "stop" button is pressed, 12 will go into "resume" allowing you to continue on from where you left off

finally 18 is a delete button... for all my mistakes!!!

I call 9 to 18 "performance mode"..ie it lets you pick three instruments for looping and also lets you flick between 4 scenes

Next I have 19 to 28 set up for "looping mode" which is basically a multi-track looping environment that allows all the looping possibilities you could ever want (i havent even used them yet but its nice to know they're there!!)..i flick into this mode with a bank up press on my pedal

the looping environment is basically the same as "14, 15 & 16" above except that there are a lot more instruments to choose from (at the expense of being able to select different scenes).

You'll also note that the same "delete.....18" "layer/continue......12" and "stop...13" are all there also

Finally there is one more mode..i call it "end sequence" and I kinda tailed off with this one.....there is a "stop all clips" which is quite important!....a "begin end -sequence" which basically triggers scene 5 in Abe...but is useful nonetheless
then I was going to start an "open live set" modifier, but started getting lazy!

you'\ll note also a temporary timer thing..thats just because of a bug in bomes which will be fixed in the next release...

Lastly....make sure in your ableton preferences you have "select clip on launch" enabled "select next scene on launch" disabled.

Thats it have fun!

Jamie

Mac OSx only...if you want to covert them to windows do a copy paste of the .btmp text (i think?)
http://www.2shared.com/file/4381864/8ed ... thing.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/4381865/f9d ... plate.html