Convert Note On to Fade In

Jagian

2008-10-28 04:01:54

Hi:
I read this topic http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=432 and found is a great preset....BUT every note i press do the same! ..every note controls all parameters like a "whole". I would like to assign different buttons to fade in/out to DIFFERENT parameters independently. i tried to setup this myself unsuccesfully...im a noob!. Can someone post a preset or a hint about how to use differents Note on to control differents MIDI parameters independently in a fade in/out mode???

Thanks in advanced!

metastatik

2008-10-30 17:04:57

Sure. Take a look at the incoming message from the first 2 translators in the thread you posted. They are “90 pp qq” and “90 pp 00”.

In both cases, the “pp” is being used in place of a specific note. This means that ANY note will trigger those translators.

To make it so only a single note triggers those translators, you need to change “pp” to the hex value for the note you want to use. Probably easiest to do this by going into the translators, choosing Capture MIDI and pressing the note you want to use.

Jagian

2008-10-30 21:11:10

metastatik thanks for reply!

In fact i did the same u write before post my question with no results. Lets say i have 2 buttons (controller 1 and 2) and i want to control independently 2 faders (fader 1 and fader 2). Ok, i assign fader 1 to button 1 (90 30 qq in translator 1) and fader 2 to button 2 (90 32 qq in a new created translator 2 in preset) with MIDI learn function in the VSTi plugin. I expect when press button 1 that only fader 1 respond, and when press button 2 ..only fader 2 respond. In the reality when press button 1 both faders respond in "unison", at the same time, in same behaviour!!. And when press button 2, both faders respond in the same way too!!.

I think the problem is more complex to assign the controller correctly. There are others variables in the "rules" in this preset: qq, gb, etcc...

Maybe someday Florian read this thread and give us the light!!

Keep thinking in find the resolution!! :))

Cheers!

metastatik

2008-10-30 21:23:55

My apologies, I didn’t read your question correctly. In addition to changing the incoming message, you also have to change the outgoing message in the 3rd Translator. Right now, that is CC7 on channel 1. Your other fades would need to use a different CC or channel.

You would also need to use a different set of global variables for each fade. For example, you’d replace “ga” with “gc” and “gb” with “gd”. And a different timer for each. For example, replace "Fader" with "Fader 1".

metastatik

2008-10-30 21:33:42

Like this…

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Note On / set timer to increase controller 
Incoming: 90 32 qq 
Rules: 
IF qq=0 THEN exit Rules, skip Outgoing Action 
gd = 1 
Outgoing: Start Timer "Fader2", infinite repeat 
initial delay: 0, repeat delay: 50 milliseconds 

Translator 2: Note Off / set timer to decrease controller 
Incoming: 90 32 00 
Rules: 
gd = -1 
Outgoing: Start Timer "Fader2", infinite repeat 
initial delay: 0, repeat delay: 50 milliseconds 

Translator 3: Do the fade 
General: Stop Processing: unchecked 
Incoming: Timer "Fader2" 
Rules: 
gc = gc + gd
IF gc<=-1 THEN exit Rules, skip Outgoing Action 
IF gc>=128 THEN exit Rules, skip Outgoing Action 
Outgoing: MIDI B0 08 gc 

Translator 4: Stop fade 
Incoming: Timer "Fader2" 
Rules: 
IF gc<=-1 THEN exit Rules, execute Outgoing Action 
IF gc>=128 THEN exit Rules, execute Outgoing Action 
exit Rules, skip Translator 
Outgoing: Stop Timer "Fader2"

Jagian

2008-10-30 22:16:49

metastatik:

good point!....believe me, before post my question, ive changed like ur example all the variables, output and global variables like u!! also :))

BUT....never changed the name of the timer!!... in detail: ive changed ga for gc, gb for gd, 07 for 10, etc...but timer was always the same!!

when i read this: "For example, replace "Fader" with "Fader 1"."...i realized that in this point could be the problem and solution!!....when i get home ill check this!....

Aniway im vey happy with ur invaluable help!!

Ill let u know the possible succes in this.

Cheers!

Jagian

2008-10-30 23:39:26

EDIT:

when i said "(90 32 qq in a new created translator 2 in preset)"... i mean a new "preset" (with the same translators modified in variables, incoming message, etc)

Jagian

2008-10-31 04:12:44

metastatik:
when i get home ive made the correction in fader name, and now it works!!...i put the preset ive used (modified from: http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/sol ... adeIn.bmtp).

Noticed ive changed "qq" for "rr" also. This is the preset modified:

Code: Select all

--------------- Preset Note On to Fade 2

Translator 1: Note On / output note on with full velocity
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI 90 34 rr 
Rules: 
  if rr>0 then rr=127
Outgoing: MIDI 90 34 rr 

Translator 2: Note On / set timer to increase controller
Incoming: MIDI 90 34 rr 
Rules: 
  if rr==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
  gd=rr
Outgoing: Periodic timer "Fader2": 50 ms (initial delay: 0 ms)

Translator 3: Note Off / default fade out
Incoming: MIDI 90 34 00 
Rules: 
  if gd>0 then gd=-1*gd
  if gd==0 then gd=-20

Translator 4: Note Off / set timer to decrease controller
Incoming: MIDI 80 34 qq 
Rules: 
  if rr==0 then qq=1
  gd=-1*rr

Translator 5: Note Off / output note off
Incoming: MIDI 80 34 rr 
Outgoing: MIDI 80 pp rr 

Translator 6: Do the fade
Incoming: On timer "Fader2"
Rules: 
  rr=gd/4
  gc=gc+rr
  if gc<=0 then gc=0
  if gc>=127 then gc=127
Outgoing: MIDI B0 10 gc 

Translator 7: Stop Fade2
Incoming: On timer "Fader2"
Rules: 
  if gc<=0 then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
  if gc>=127 then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
  exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: Kill timer "Fader2"
Thanks for help me...now ive got a very interesting and useful preset working. All the best for u!