convert a push ON/OFF button to a knob button??

Jagian

2008-10-22 05:30:29

Hi Florian and forum!
Im beggining to test again this wonderful program. I would like to do this:
i've got a homemade foot controller with push buttons only(momentary buttons) ON/OFF behaviour (ON=127 and OFF=0). i can convert the notes
(in fact ive converted an old MIDI CASIO keyboard to achieve this) in CC (control changes) with MIDI-OX for example, and control some VSTi or Guitar effects, etc. The problem is that many MIDI parameters are in fact knobs or faders (continous controllers). I would to use my buttons to controls this MIDI parameters...HOW?....one possibility could be in some way to create increments in between the MAX and MIN values, for example: MIN= 1 /MAX= 127/ increments=1 or 5 etc. And then every time i push my button i "travel" in discrete steps in between MIN and MAX...and ideally back and forth...something like a REAL knob button. MIDI-OX doesnt offer the possibility to achieve this :((...PLEASE!!! is it possible using MIDI translator??? and how??.
Thanks in advanced!

florian

2008-10-22 10:21:56

yes, the one possibility you describe is quite easy with Midi Translator Pro (MT Pro). You need the Pro version because this requires the "Rules" feature:

The trick is to use a global variable, say g0 (that's the digit zero), to store the current controller value. Then everytime you press the button, it increases the variable's value and send out a controller message with this value.

Code: Select all

Translator 1:
MIDI IN: 90 40 7F
Rules:
  g0=g0+5
  IF (g0 > 127) THEN g0=127
MIDI OUT: B0 07 g0

Translator 2:
MIDI IN: 90 41 7F
Rules:
  g0=g0-5
  IF (g0 < 0) THEN g0=0
MIDI OUT: B0 07 g0
Now that will give you a full range controller (0..127) using two buttons. You may need to adapt the incoming MIDI message to correspond to the MIDI messages that your buttons send (use MIDI Capture for that).
The example sends cc#7, i.e. channel volume. You can use any other controller by adapting the OUTPUT MIDI message.

The step size is 5 values for every button press. you can adapt that in the Rules.

Also, you can set up additional controller with other pairs of buttons by using g1, g2, etc.

Let me know how that works!
Florian

Jagian

2008-10-22 16:49:15

Florian:
my mouth get to the floor when i test this!!!....worked like a charm!!

before that i never used this "criptic" (to me) "rules"..but i realized that are so easy to configure, and i could to setup a second pair of buttons (g1) and control other parameter!!

Thanks Florian and REALLY NICE SOFTWARE!!...(ive send u an email to discuss the buy of MT :))

Thanks!