Mapping rotary to different controller when press and turn

olafmol

2008-10-08 23:43:49

Hello,

i have purchased a Reloop Digital Jockey midi-controller, and so far am really liking it. I am using it together with Traktor 3. I also bought MT Pro to get the maximum out of my gear ;)

One of the things i cannot do with the standard Traktor mapping is assigning a rotary controller to a different CC when pressing it down and turning. The Reloop has several rotaries that also act as push-buttons and send a note on/off when pressed down/released.

I have made some rules in MT Pro that enable me to send the rotary to a different CC when having the rotary pressed down and turning it, but i am wondering if they way i have implemented it is the best way:

Translator 2: eqlowleft
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI 90 16 pp
Rules:
if pp==0 then g0=0
if pp==127 then g0=127
Outgoing: MIDI 90 16 pp

Translator 3: eqlowleftturn
Incoming: MIDI B0 05 pp
Outgoing: MIDI B0 g0 pp

i have used CC 0 and CC 127 for testing purposes. I would like to know if this is the smartest way to implement this, or if there are better ways? :)

Cheers, Olaf

florian

2008-10-20 22:50:23

Hi Olaf,

that's quite OK how you do it. You can optimize translator 2 like this:

Translator 2: eqlowleft
Incoming: MIDI 90 16 g0
Outgoing: MIDI 90 16 g0

now in translator 3, you can select your outgoing translator with a rule if it should be different from 0 and 127:

Translator 3: eqlowleftturn
Incoming: MIDI B0 05 pp
Rules:
if g0 == 0 THEN tt=60
if g0 > 0 THEN tt=61
Outgoing: MIDI B0 tt pp

So in this example, the variable tt is the controller number; 60 when not pressed, and 61 when pressed.

Regards,
Florian