Navigating Left & Right with one Pot?

grade e

2008-10-01 03:10:48

Is it possible to have a navigation controller(s) for going left and right with just one endless pot? I can create a new translator and set it to recieve my endless pot midi signal and translate that to the right arrow for right navigation. Is there some way to navigate left and right and up and down with only one pot control each? Or does it actually require 4 separate pots to do this?

florian

2008-10-21 10:20:30

Hi , sorry for the late reply. Rotary encoders ("endless knobs") typically send a MIDI controller message with the same value when turning to the right, and a different value when turning to the left.

Now, say, your device's first rotary encoder sends on controller 1, where a value of 0x40 means "turn to right" and "0x00" means "turning to left".
Then you can create two translators like that:

Code: Select all

TRANSLATOR 1: right
INCOMING: MIDI B0 01 40
OUTGOING: Keystroke "Arrow right"

TRANSLATOR 2: left
INCOMING: MIDI B0 01 00
OUTGOING: Keystroke "Arrow left"
Now that will work the same for a second encoder used for up and down.

Some devices will also encode acceleration, i.e. when turning the knob real fast, they will send out different values. E.g. Frontier Design devices use the encoding scheme above, but when turning faster to the right, the value will be 0x41, and if not faster 0x42, and so on. With Midi Translator Pro (MT Pro), you can efficiently handle that using Rules and timers. Check out the "Frontier Design Tranzport" preset, which ships with MT Pro.

MT Pro also gives you the tools to do even more, e.g. you could designate any button on your device as "shift" function (or maybe the encoders can be pressed down, generating MIDI messages upon pressing and releasing). Then you can define even more functions for just one encoder: e.g. left/right if button is not pressed, and up/down if pressed. Or, fast and slow, ... (also see [url=http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=4775]this thread[/u])

Hope that helps, let us know!
Florian