For Mac

ideofunk

2008-09-21 19:12:50

I've been using the beta 5 on a MacBook (Tiger) to control Live 6 and Line6 GearBox.

1. I am not seeing Keystroke as an input option in the Mac betas. I don't plan on using it for performances, but it would be handy to have when I want to test a new translator and don't have my gear hooked up. I know it's been an option in past Windows versions...

2. This is more of a Mac question, really. I've never had a need for multiple instances of a program before now, and am not sure how to do it on a Mac. I know this is a really basic question for someone who's had their Mac for a year, but I'm humbling myself for the sake of forward movement. How do you do it? :oops:

ruediger

2008-09-22 09:32:46

Hi,

we are working on the keystroke input. It will be released in one of the next versions.

Why do you want to use Midi Translator multiple times. It is not designed for that.

Best regards,
RĂ¼diger

ideofunk

2008-09-22 17:41:33

ruediger wrote:Hi,

we are working on the keystroke input. It will be released in one of the next versions.

Why do you want to use Midi Translator multiple times. It is not designed for that.

Best regards,
RĂ¼diger
Thanks for the reply, that's nice to know about the keystroke input. As far as using MT multiple times, I have 2 different MIDI controllers that I want to customize for 2 different software programs. i.e. one controller is for Ableton Live and one is for Line6 GearBox. Since you can only select one MIDI input and one output in MT, being able to run 2 instances of MT for each pair seems an easier solution than running another 3rd party program.

I'm sure there are other ways around it (and I'm still experimenting), but I was reading in another forum where someone suggested running 2 instances of MT on Windows, so I thought I'd ask how to do it on Mac.

florian

2008-09-24 02:14:07

Hi ideofunk,

indeed, on Windows people use multiple instances to work with multiple MIDI devices, etc. And though MT/OSX is not really designed to run in multiple instances, you can do that by starting MT from the command line. And, though I haven't tried, you can create a duplicate of the Midi Translator app (in the applications folder), rename it to your liking and start the copy then. Note that the copy will use its own set of settings.

Ideally, MT will have an "Open new instance" menu item. I'll put it down on our feature request list. But, once there is multi-MIDI port support in MT, running multiple instances is probably not that useful anymore.

Best,
Florian

ideofunk

2008-09-24 07:46:03

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try it out and let you know how it works... and you're right, multiple in/out would make it a moot point.

Thanks again for the input and all your hard work! You guys are awesome!