Arrays and other requests

salamanderanagram

2008-08-23 21:10:15

I could really use some arrays with MIDI translator to shove larger groups of variables into a more compact code base. Certain things take way too long to code without them!!

Another really useful thing would be to be able to declare and call global functions (with PARAMETERS if possible), maybe I missed how to do that but there is an awful lot of redundant and unnecessary code I'm working with right now

Richard Soup

2008-09-14 22:01:18

Hi I agree

arrays would make my life a lot easier - with manipulating a mixing and recording setup in Abelton - You would end up with alot less variables and more elegant code.

Also some sort o repeat untill loop would be highly useful - especially if you could do multiple Midi executions so the midi send values changed at each pass of the loop.

But out of the two arrays would be most useful.

being able to use an editor has made a big difference - cheers

Best

Richard

florian

2008-10-21 11:08:11

Hi,

our current plan is to keep the Rules feature set pretty much as they are. They are relatively easy to understand and a quick way to click together some logic. Adding more and more features would probably let the Rules' performance suffer, as they are interpreted.

We know that it's very cumbersome to create more complex setups with rules and the inflexible variable scheme.

So we plan to add a "real" scripting language to a future version of MT. Such scripts would live in parallel with Rules, so people can use either one. Scripts will be compiled and therefore be fast enough to support the usual programming constructs, arrays, etc.

Hang in there...
Florian

Richard Soup

2008-12-25 22:02:42

Hi - Just checked this thread again;

When this happens would you be able to pass variables out to the external scripts from Bome?

I can appreciate why arrays would be difficult to impliment - But its the one thing that makes me think of trying to MIDI programme in another environment - The other stuff like no "Repeat Until" I can live with - Because of the general ease of use in MT.

All the best - Happy Christmas

Richard

florian

2009-01-06 10:56:25

Hi Richard,

thanks, hope you had nice holidays, too!

Yes, variables will be shared from scripts and Rules. We also have some upcoming features in version 2.0 to support stuff MT directly without the need for arrays, e.g. to support multiple devices with one project file.

Regards,
Florian