Reliability and latency for live use

Angel

2008-08-22 10:55:30

Hi,

for live gigs as keyboarder in a professional rock show band my equipment consists of a Midi controller masterkeyboard and a laptop. My VSTi host is Brainspawn Forte which has many Midi filtering and remapping functions built-in, mostly for key splits, key zone layering and controller remapping.

Due to some limitations of current 88keys masterkeyboards I need some more Midi tricks like keyswitching. That means a remapping of incoming Midi notes to different Midi channels depending on some switch, be it a Midi controller or a key on the keyboard itself. I tested midi Translator Pro Demo, and within an hour I could make it work. Excellent!

Finally, my questions are now:

How reliable is Midi Translator together with some virtual Midi cables like Maple or YokeNT for live use? In front of thousands of fans you do not want hanging Midi notes or have to reboot your laptop.

And does Midi Translator introduce significant latency? Or timing jitter when many Midi notes are coming in simultaneously? However, my filter rules would not be that complex, and my laptop is quite up-to-date.

Thanks for any comments and testimonials.
Angel

ruediger

2008-08-22 13:11:53

Hi Angel,

unfortunately, YokeNT is a little bit unstable and I have never tried Maple, nut in our new version we will provide the Bome Virtual MIDI Ports. We are working hard to make it as stable as a windows driver can be :).

Regarding latency and jitter, read the following article of the Chief Architect of MT, Florian. Very interesting!

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/07/04/m ... ith-a-pro/

Extract:
Question: How much latency does midi Translator add?
Answer: below 200 microseconds (or below 0.2ms)

Regards,
Rüdi

Angel

2008-08-23 01:30:06

Thanks for your answer. Regarding "Bome Virtual MIDI Ports", could you make it multi-client? So that more than one program could receive Midi data from them?

For example, my Edirol PCR-300 can act as input in Brainspawn Forte, my VSTi host, and in parallel the same Midi in ports can be opened by MidiOX, for simple Midi data monitoring, just in parallel to Forte, without mapping of data through MidiOX in a serial path.

In opposite, Maple VMC ports or my CME wireless Midi receiver WIDI-X as "USB-Audiogerät" can be opened only by one application at a time. So no parallel use or monitoring is possible.

Just an idea.
Angel

florian

2008-10-21 11:23:58

Hi Angel,

Bome's virtual ports are/will be "MIDI IN exclusive", i.e. only one application can receive the data. AFAIK, this is a limitation of the Windows MIDI driver stack. We've made them multi-MIDI OUT capable, i.e. several applications can send data to MT using the same virtual port.

But in MT version 1.7 (currently in beta), you can create multiple virtual ports and choose to send to multiple virtual ports at once. That'll achieve what you want to do.

Regards,
Florian