Using Midi Thru

grade e

2008-08-18 03:31:54

Total noob here... this may be a dumb question but I did a forum search and literally got no results for "Midi Thru"

Anyway, I want half of the controllers on my MPD24 to directly send midi thru MT. For example, my pads are mostly doing keyboard translations, but I want my knobs to simply midi through so I can control efx in Live etc through midi mapping. How do I set some knobs or pads to midi through in MT?

Thanks.

joesapo

2008-08-18 21:49:32

grade e wrote:Total noob here... this may be a dumb question but I did a forum search and literally got no results for "Midi Thru"

Anyway, I want half of the controllers on my MPD24 to directly send midi thru MT. For example, my pads are mostly doing keyboard translations, but I want my knobs to simply midi through so I can control efx in Live etc through midi mapping. How do I set some knobs or pads to midi through in MT?

Thanks.
By default, any MIDI input signal received by MT will be routed straight thru to the specified MIDI out port as long as there aren't any translators defined for it.

For example, assuming you have MIDI Thru enabled in MT; A pad that you have a keyboard translator setup for will NOT output the MIDI signal of the pad unless you have the 'Output both translated action and incoming message' checkbox enabled. It will ONLY output the keyboard actions defined in the Outgoing Action box. Conversely, a knob that you have NO translators designated for will pass thru MT completely unaffected, broadcasting the same incoming signal straight through to the program you are controlling.

So as long as you have no translators defined for these controls you wish to pass thru, you should be okay.

Let me know if this helps!

Joe

grade e

2008-08-19 04:24:19

That nailed it.. thanks. I found the midi thru setting in the options as well which was not checked to be on.. all is well now.