MIDI Keyboard Note Creating Unwanted Repeated Keystroke

apell08

2008-08-05 12:30:16

I am using the foot pedals of basic midi drum controller that sends out each drum pad and foot pedal as a midi note.

Using MT Classic I have been able to use one of the foot pedals to trigger the Key Press of the QWERTY keyboard “down” button to change scenes in Ableton Live. My problem is that it repeats the “down” action twice even after I placed a Key Up event following the Key Press or Key Down (with No Repat) in the same Preset.

All I want is to press the foot pedal and go “down” once! I have also tried this through a normal midi controller piano keyboard with the same problem occuring.

The details in MT are:

1st TRANSLATOR
Incoming MIDI
Note On #10: G#2, vel pp
99 2C pp

Outgoing Keystroke Emulation
Key Press event OR Key Down (No Repeat)

2nd TRANSLATOR
Incoming MIDI
Note On #10: G#2, vel pp
99 2C pp

Outgoing Keystroke Emulation
Key Up event

Any advice or solution to help fix this problem or to let me know what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

apell08

2008-08-06 01:37:27

I managed to work it out. I made the velocity of the incoming midi note 0 and now the "down" keystroke only happens once.

Therefore there is no need for the 2nd Translator - Key Up event.

The Incoming MIDI that works is simply

Note On #10: G#2, vel 0
99 2C 00

It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do!

joesapo

2008-08-18 23:48:13

apell08 wrote:I managed to work it out. I made the velocity of the incoming midi note 0 and now the "down" keystroke only happens once.

Therefore there is no need for the 2nd Translator - Key Up event.

The Incoming MIDI that works is simply

Note On #10: G#2, vel 0
99 2C 00

It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do!
Very good! I think it may be worth creating a MT FAQ for these types of things. Many people (myself included) don't initially realize that keyboard key presses actually are TWO different events.

Thanks for posting your solution...

Joe