two keystrokes for +- bpm with ableton live

fanboi

2008-07-15 01:17:04

yo. so i was curious, how could i make a preset that takes two keybinds as input, and translate them as a midi value going either upwards or downwards? ive modded a qwerty keyboard as a clip launcher + effect prest switcher for use with ableton live but the tempo map only allows one midi map/keyboard map, and i want to use two buttons, one for increasing tempo by +1 and one for decreasing tempo by -1.

so yeah, sending the same cc number out with 0-64 for keyboard input X, and the rest for keyboard input Y, then map this cc value to the tempo map, so im guessing its done by assigning rules yeh?

i still havent come to terms with the rules and all that just yet. ;)

twintip

2008-09-20 15:40:41

deleted: see my later posts :oops:

timmy_b

2008-09-25 14:01:23

This is really interesting stuff, just diving into this program I think it is going to be no end of help to my performance.

I am half way there with understanding your patch, but I have a couple of questions.

Firstly I assume that way you are phrasing the syntax is just for ease of use, there isn't an import .txt function or anything is there?

Also it appears that the incoming info is midi data, but you name the translators, z press - z release etc.

Is this change happening in another program, or ableton live? presumably somewhere you have a program telling midi translator that pressing the z key down is to send out MIDI 90 2e 7f.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

twintip

2008-09-25 20:48:20

deleted: see later post :oops:

twintip

2008-09-25 21:01:51

Ok I uploaded the blank ableton file (v7.09) and included the bmpt file in the zipped folder:

UPDATED: globalgoon.com/fixed_tempo2.zip

timmy_b

2008-09-26 00:24:21

hey thanks a lot thats very helpful, thanks for taking the time

I'll let you know how I get on

timmy_b

2008-09-26 00:30:54

one last thing, how do you ensure that you get full 127 velocity everytime on your pad control.

Is it just a matter of hitting it pretty hard??? I assume that you have to use that number instead of pp because other wise that translator will run on note off as well right?

twintip

2008-09-26 00:36:03

timmy_b wrote:one last thing, how do you ensure that you get full 127 velocity everytime on your pad control.

Is it just a matter of hitting it pretty hard??? I assume that you have to use that number instead of pp because other wise that translator will run on note off as well right?
EDIT: updated file: globalgoon.com/fixed_tempo2.zip

I edited the file for this thread and messed up!

the note ons should be 90 2E pp and the note offs 80 2E pp

but you will probably want to do midi learn to choose your own notes

Code: Select all

--------------- Preset tempo

Translator 1: down press
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI 90 2E pp 
Outgoing: Periodic timer "down": 1 ms (initial delay: 0 ms)

Translator 2: down release
Incoming: MIDI 80 2E pp
Outgoing: Kill timer "down"

Translator 3: up press
Incoming: MIDI 90 2B pp 
Outgoing: Periodic timer "up": 1 ms (initial delay: 0 ms)

Translator 4: up release
Incoming: MIDI 80 2B pp 
Outgoing: Kill timer "up"

Translator 5: tempo_timer_up
Incoming: On timer "up"
Rules: 
  gb=gb+1
  if gb<127 then skip next 2 rules
  ga=ga+1
  gb=0