Translator sending multiple messages

DvlsAdvct

2008-05-09 18:24:58

hi guys

So I am new at using MIDI-Pro. I am using it with my VCI-100 to be able to control all four decks using presets. I have mapped an Always On to control the Crossfader, various volume controls (monitor out, master out) and the Master Effects.

I have also mapped each half of the VCI-100 into individual presets for Deck A and B. I then copied the respective presets and pasted them to control Decks C and D. I set the outgoing messages for Decks C and D to be up one channel (so Decks A and B transmit on Channel 1, Decks C and D transmit on Channel 2). When I set up my tks this worked fine.

But then I started to use it. The buttons I have set to change the presets are in the upper left hand corner in the Loop section. The top button Switches Preset Deck A to Deck C. Now, when I am working in Deck A and I hit play, Deck A plays. When I then switch to Deck C and hit play, Deck A stops and Deck C starts. I checked it in MIDI-Ox and a lot of copies of data are being transmitted when I hit a button, no matter which preset I'm using.

I don't have Thru selected. Should I attach the file here?

Thanks
Jared

joesapo

2008-05-12 22:49:56

Hi Jared,

Yes, if I could take a look at the file it would be a great help to me. You can either post it up here or email it to me, whichever you prefer.

If I were to take a wild guess, I'd say that your presets aren't switching properly. Hopefully I can give you a hand and get this fixed - it sounds like a really interesting setup!

Joe

DvlsAdvct

2008-05-12 22:58:01

When I get home I'll send it to you. I'm also having a strange problem sending the file and it not sending my preset information, which I'm in contact with Florian about.

I'll send it tonight.

:-) Thanks

joesapo

2008-05-12 23:12:50

DvlsAdvct wrote:When I get home I'll send it to you. I'm also having a strange problem sending the file and it not sending my preset information, which I'm in contact with Florian about.

I'll send it tonight.

:-) Thanks
This is a common problem I've been seeing with users... The best way to send a template is to either;

1. File/Save As... and upload the .bmtp file
2. Preset/Save As Text File... and post the resulting text here on the forum. This only works per-preset tho, so you'd have to do it once for each preset in your template.

I'll be watching for your template. If you need to email it to me, just use the 'email' button on the bottom of this post...

Joe

DvlsAdvct

2008-05-13 00:55:20

Files have been sent

joesapo

2008-05-13 01:53:24

Hey Jared,

I had a chance to take a quick look at your files and I spotted a number of problems. Two of which are notable...

1. This is the show stopper. Most of your preset change translators are inside the actual presets being activated/deactivated... I would recommend moving all your preset changing translators to the 'always active' preset so they don't get their wires crossed, which is what I think is happening.

2. This isn't so much of a problem, as it is a recommendation for you. If you have functions in your template that have the same incoming and outgoing actions and don't really have any need to change between presets, you can just omit them and set 'MIDI Thru' in MT so it won't block MIDI messages that aren't part of translators. Should save on some time for you in creating templates...

If you send me your .bmtp file I'd be happy to make some changes to it.

Joe :mrgreen:

DvlsAdvct

2008-05-13 05:19:58

Just sent it over.

Thanks a lot

joesapo

2008-05-14 17:58:35

DvlsAdvct wrote:Just sent it over.

Thanks a lot
Hey Jared. I got the file. I just wanted to say I haven't forgotten about you, and should be sending you an updated template sometime today.

joesapo

2008-05-14 18:58:27

Hey Jared...

Well I think i found your problem... :D

It looks like there's a logic problem with your deck activation/deactivation code. If you change your velocity settings around on the following translators your template should start working for you correctly;

Translator 24: Deactivate Deck B
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI 90 64 00
Outgoing: deactivate preset "Deck B"

Translator 25: Activate Deck C
Incoming: MIDI 90 62 00
Outgoing: activate preset "Deck C"

Translator 26: Deactivate Deck C
Incoming: MIDI 90 62 7F
Outgoing: deactivate preset "Deck C"

Translator 27: Activate Deck D
Incoming: MIDI 90 64 00
Outgoing: activate preset "Deck D"

Translator 28: Deactivate Deck D
Incoming: MIDI 90 64 7F
Outgoing: deactivate preset "Deck D"

BTW - the preceding translator settings are the corrected versions...

Let me know how it goes...

DvlsAdvct

2008-05-17 16:50:19

This isn't working for me.

First:

Now, when I want to switch to Deck C it just turns off Deck A. When I want to turn Deck A back on it only works as a Hold function. When I release the button Deck A turns off.

Then, when I switch from Deck B to D it does it right, but then I can't toggle back to B.

Right now it's set up as (In this order)

Activate Deck A
Options: stop=false (I'm assuming this is the Stop Processing With This Translator option)
Incoming: MIDI 90 62 7F
Outgoing: Activate Preset "Deck A"

Activate Deck C
Outgoing: Activate Preset "Deck C"

Deactivate Deck A
Outgoing: Deactivate Deck A

(Now, that right there should turn on Deck C and Turn Off Deck A, right?)

Deactivate Deck C
Outgoing: Deactivate Deck C

(Now, this is where things get fishy. The commands right here get screwed up. I think I need a rule for this but I don't know how to program the Rules. There should be some way to tell it "If Deck C On then Turn Off Deck C on release" or something. Maybe Press Down on the button (7F) and it will always turn on Deck A. Release the button and it will always turn On Deck C. Then it's just getting it to realize that if Deck A is on to turn it off on release, and if Deck C is On turn it Off on release)

Activate Deck D
Incoming: 90 64 00
Outgoing: Activate Deck D

Deactivate Deck B
Incoming: 90 64 00
Outgoing: Deactivate Deck B

Deactivate Deck D
options: stop=false
Incoming: 90 64 7F
Outgoing: Deactivate Deck D

Activate Deck B
options: stop=false
Incoming: 90 64 7F
Outgoing: Activate Deck B

Alright, that's the set up. I know there's a logic problem, but I don't know how to fix it without being able to type in what to do, and this doesn't work like that.

:-)

Thanks a lot for the help.
Jared