multiple trigger to 1 rotary in live7

soundwave

2008-04-19 22:43:25

Hello,
I would like to assign one rotary on my Behringer BCR2000, to 1 track in
LIVE 7, to trigger scenes or (clips) on track #1, where is 25 scenes or clips.
So, when I turn the rotary, it would trigger clips in order, 1 to 25....
With midi value of 127, devided by 5 gives me oo= 5 per clip.
(Value 0-5 is just not to have the dial too crowded, 25 clips is plenty)

Like: in live I hit note#24 assigned to start 1st clip on track 1, 1st clip starts playing, when the rotary reaches oo=5, clip#2 starts playing, when oo=10 clip #3 plays, and so on....

I dont want the clips to stop playing, just activating next clip in line.
The BCR has the top line of rotaries in dual function,turn and push.The push i assigned to note 24-C, and that works.
(But when i turn the dial it does not activate the next clip.)..HELP :cry:
I am still trying to figure it out, because I think it could be a nice feature to activate clips like that... :idea:
TIA

Tuur

2008-04-20 20:49:57

With scene selection it's easy, just map the knob to the scene control and map the push function to the clip launch control of your channel.

If you don't want to use scene selection you should remap the incoming midi CC to separate notes and map those note values to all your slots. This way the clips auto-start too, meaning you don't have to push the knob to fire a clip.

soundwave

2008-04-20 21:57:16

Thanx for reply, if it was easy,(for me), I wouldn't be asking for help...
The "scenes" I can assigned to keys/notes OK; no problem.
IT is the continuity, in ONE rotary "activating" the next step, that triggers the next clip, as I turn the rotary....I have no idea what to assign to who :cry:

In past, I assigned 12 clips (an octave on my keyboard) to 4 tracks, each with 12 clips, but since I have a 4 octave keyboard it limits me, because with 8 tracks I have to start switching midi channels etc, you know what I mean...

Is my question understandable or confusing? What you reply is not what I'm asking...I need 1 rotary to do work of 25 commands...
It should be fairly easy to do with a program like this...

Tuur

2008-04-20 22:14:53

No prob. :)

Map your controller to a translator. The incoming action should be your knob and should look something like B0 01 pp.

The pp part is what you're after as that's the value of the position.

The quick and dirty solution would be a simple 90 pp 01 as outgoing action. This way the turning of the knob spits out 128 midi notes - one for every position.

Just ignore the notes you don't want and map the others to the slots in Live.

You could also use rules and make it a bit more 'clean' but this should work fine as a start...

soundwave

2008-04-20 23:34:23

Hi TUUR,
thanxs, I'll try that and let U know...

I tried your method, but I didn't get things going... :(
Also I don't understand your statement: The quick and dirty solution would be a simple 90 pp 01 as outgoing action. This way the turning of the knob spits out 127 midi notes one for every position. Notes? Is it notes or "values"?

I set up the push/turn dual function rotary (top row onPCR2000) this way:
push= note 24, turn=controller #102 range 1-127.
127 notes is TOO FINE to turn, that is why I wanted to assign "note/ action"= to 0-5...5-10...10-15 etc...I need only 25 positions.

You assign notes to positions? And if so, how do you assign 0-5 to C ( midi note#24),5-10 toC# (midi note#25), 10-15 to D, (#26)...?
TIA

Tuur

2008-04-21 11:53:25

soundwave wrote:Also I don't understand your statement: The quick and dirty solution would be a simple 90 pp 01 as outgoing action. This way the turning of the knob spits out 127 midi notes one for every position. Notes? Is it notes or "values"?
Strange. It should work, I'll test it tonight.

And it's notes. What happens is every CC value gets translated to a midi note. CC value 1 becomes note 1 etc.
127 notes is TOO FINE to turn, that is why I wanted to assign "note/ action"= to 0-5...5-10...10-15 etc...I need only 25 positions.
Which is why I said ignore the notes you don't need (e.g. 1-4, 6-9, 11-14, etc). Map note 0, 5, 10, 15, etc to your slots. MT will send out the other notes, but as long as you don't map 'm in Live there's no problem.

You could clean things up by adding rules and sending only the notes you would like, but in the end the result should be the same.

Anyway, I'll get out my BCR tonight to check it out...

Tuur

2008-04-21 18:52:59

Works fine over here.

Came up with some clean-up rules too. Add this to the translator:

Rules:
pp=pp/5
pp=pp*5
if g1==pp then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
g1=pp

This will send out only every transition of notes #0-5-10-etc (in this case in Live you should map the slots to note C-2, F-2, etc).

If you add a second translator with the push function as input and 90 g1 7F as output you can retrigger the currently selected clip with a push of the button.

If you don't want to auto-fire simply disable the outgoing action from the first translator and only use the push function from the second one.

Finally, if you want more control and less clips to fire you can change the 5's in the rules to a higher number. This creates more 'room' between the transitions. You'll get other notes as output of course (remap in Live)!

soundwave

2008-04-21 23:20:24

Hi Tuur,
thanx a lot for your time and help!!! I am getting more and more frustrated I can't get it working and I don't know WHY!!! I don't know what to assign in "outgoing", so I tried some, nothing.
I created 1 translator,put in rules :
pp=pp/5
pp=pp*5
g1=pp
Then I started live hit the rotary, it starts play first clip, but when I turn rotary, nothing...

I tried a while back here: http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
I had better luck and somehow I managed to set it up that when I turned the rotary, haleluja, it moved, jumped to clip 3, but it would not come back I fiddled, lost the "set up" and now can't even repeat it...
Also, I don't know how to map those notes:1,5,10...to slots, in live, since I am using bcr, i can't put in notes from keyboard...
I tought it would be a bit simpler....
Thanx

Tuur

2008-04-22 08:58:30

Edit - new and improved.

It looks like your problem is with your Live mapping! That's probably because Live wants to see a note off too when you map.

Change the outgoing action from the first translator to: 90 pp 01 80 pp 01

I didn't realise you could have multiple messages in one outgoing action... :roll::lol:

Tuur

2008-04-23 11:59:29

Here it is. Use cut/paste to get it inside MT.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: CC to notes
Options: disabled, stop=false
Incoming: MIDI B0 01 pp 
Rules: 
  pp=pp/5
  pp=pp*5
  g1=pp
Outgoing: MIDI 90 pp 01 80 pp 01 
The incoming message is different for your controller, so remap that and you're good to go...

soundwave

2008-04-23 12:10:59

I DIDNT SEE THIS LAST EDIT....
Hi Tuur, how come it works for you and not me? :?
I think there is something that I got wrong in the translator...
Live can play only 1 clip per track, so if I can assign the "sections" of rotary <1through5> etc to clips, it would fire them automaticaly...

The midi ox I got set up like this: in from midi yoke-1 =7 devices
The virtual wires connect to: out to yoke 2

Could you please write me an example of just 2 translators?
The rest is just a repetition with changed values...
I am using the trial version and it ain't easy :oops:
TIA-IRA

Tuur

2008-04-23 12:20:21

I know how Live works. ;) Tested this in Live too.

And this is the only translator needed, so there is no example for a second one! :D

This one translator sends out all the notes you need, with steps of five in between. If your routing is correct turning the knob will trigger a different note every 5 (CC) steps.

Please start with using your BCR as input for MT and Yoke 1 as output. In Live select only Yoke 1 as (remote) input. For this moment please turn off all other routings.

Now tell me if you're seeing midi coming in (right hand top corner of Live) when you turn the knob. If not, check the midi in and out 'leds' in MT.

If it works you should be able to midi map it in Live...

soundwave

2008-04-23 15:22:56

Hi again,
I set it up just like you said, here is a copy of the translator:

Translator 1: Translator 1:CC to notes
Options: stop=false, thru
Incoming: MIDI 94 18 pp
Rules: disabled,stop=false
pp=pp/5
pp=pp*5
g1=pp

(I had to write the rules, I used: 2 expressions, 1 condition, 1 assignment.
Respectively. Correct me if wrong.)
Please start with using your BCR as input for MT and Yoke 1 as output. In Live select only Yoke 1 as (remote) input. For this moment please turn off all other routings.
When I disconnect in "Preferences" ALL (INS/OUTS), except remote input from midi yoke 1, there is no midi activity, only the translator midi icon lights up.

With normal connections the midi connection in live is active, and when the clip is activated, on every beginning of the loop the brown color midi square between key and midi mapping windows flashes, saying that live sends a midi message because of a new or chan. rem. cont. assignm.????
And :cry::oops::cry: it doesnt work....

Tuur

2008-04-23 15:38:54

The first problem is the incoming message. Right now it says 94.

This means the translator is waiting for a note in (on midi channel 5). That's no good. It has to be a B4 code if you want it to respond to the turning of the knob.

Please remap the incoming message. Do not just type in B4! Use your controller and MT's 'capture midi' feature for this. When you turn the knob you should see a stream of incoming midi data...

The rules are fine by the way. :)

soundwave

2008-04-23 17:17:31

OK,fixed that, now its B4 code...

Translator 1: Translator 1:CC to notes
Options: stop=false, thru
Incoming: MIDI B4 6E pp
Rules: disabled,stop=false
pp=pp/5
pp=pp*5
g1=pp

Now when I assign the rotary to that track,it starts the clip, and if I turn the rotary anywhere, the dial "jumps" back to 0,(i see the light jump to 0), as if i didn't move it...so it "can't " be moved..strange no?
When I tried to assign the rotary in LIVE's midi mapping, it lets me assign 2-3 positioms and after that it warns me about doubling assignment...and then it works btwn 2 positions only anyway...
BTW where do you find meaning of the "codes"? and pp qq a9???

Tuur

2008-04-23 18:10:43

I think you've created a feedback loop somewhere.

Do you see the same problem when you try it with all other routings disabled (like I said in the previous post)?

It should send out 25 different notes when you completely turn the knob. You can check this by opening the log window in MT. You should see different note outs (90 pp 01 - with the pp being different for every note) when you use the controller.

What happens when you use a different type of knob from the BCR?

BTW: the manual is @ http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/help/help.html