Controlling Reason

comminsk

2008-04-04 03:38:28

There is one main thing that I'm hoping to accomplish with MT and Reason:

I would like to jump to certain values of a parameter, such as: Malstrom's Modulation Curves. I would like to be able to do this in two ways, using my BCF 2000 or Line6 KB37.

1) Create rules so that turning a knob will skip the unwanted values.

or

2) Assign a separate click/button control to each value.

Can either of these be accomplished with MT Classic? I have read the online manual, so I understand that I will need to do something with MIDI output and Rules.

Thanks

Tuur

2008-04-16 11:39:34

Shouldn't be a problem...

florian

2008-04-16 13:13:09

Hi Comminsk,

sorry for the late reply. As Tuur pointed out, that will be easily possible with MT Pro, e.g. you can define rules of this sort:

a) if "knob 1 on BCF" is in between 0..10, translate to "Malstrom Modulation Curve 1"
b) if "knob 1 on BCF" is in between 11..20, translate to "Malstrom Modulation Curve 3"
c) if "knob 1 on BCF" is in between 21..127, translate to "Malstrom Modulation Curve 4"

You can do the same for a knob/controller on the Line 6.
With MT Classic, you cannot define rules. You can only define static in-to-out mappings, i.e.
a) if "knob 1 on BCF" is 0, translate to "Malstrom Modulation Curve 1"
b) if "knob 1 on BCF" is 1, translate to "Malstrom Modulation Curve 1"
c) if "knob 1 on BCF" is 2, translate to "Malstrom Modulation Curve 1"
etc. For full coverage of the knob, you'd have to create 128 translation entries.

Note that as of version 1.6.x, you cannot open multiple MIDI IN ports at the same time. So for using the Behringer and the Line 6 at the same time, you need to open MT twice. The next version of MT will have support for multiple MIDI ports.
2) Assign a separate click/button control to each value.
I don't fully understand, but yes, you can define individual MIDI messages for every single value of a given knob or fader.
As said above, such an individual mapping can be done without rules, though often also for that, there is little flexibility.

Hope that helps! If you provide specific examples which controller and which range should be converted to which MIDI message for Reason, we can help you how to "program" that for MT.

Regards,
Florian

comminsk

2008-04-16 15:44:05

Great, I'll try experimenting.

Referring to my second question I think I was talking about static mapping, so that clicking button 1 translates to curve 2... button 2 translates to curve 15... etc. I am only thinking of switching between 4 to 5 curves max, so I think the BCF has enough buttons for me.

Thanks,

Kevin

florian

2008-04-16 16:15:17

yes, if you use buttons, MT Classic should do the job for you.

Florian

comminsk

2008-04-17 23:18:36

MT recognizes the BCF2000 and I am able to choose the midi input by clicking on the desired button (with the goal of assigning a curve parameter value to +/- four differing click/button encoders). I'm not sure how to fill out the translate tab.

1. Do I need a certain midi channel on the BCF?

2. Do I need to set attach the BCF to one of Reasons midi buses, or is the audio preferences connection in Reason Sufficient?

3. Do I need to use midi yoke, which is hinted at in the manual online?

Thanks,

Kevin

Tuur

2008-04-18 09:18:13

comminsk wrote:1. Do I need a certain midi channel on the BCF?
Nope.
2. Do I need to set attach the BCF to one of Reasons midi buses, or is the audio preferences connection in Reason Sufficient?
Nope.
3. Do I need to use midi yoke, which is hinted at in the manual online?
Yup.

Route the BCF into MT and set the output in MT to Yoke 1. Select Yoke 1 as your midi input in Reason.

If you enable midi thru in MT you should be able to map controls in Reason as usual. If it works, start creating your translators.