Trying to use 3 MIDI controllers with Ableton Live and MT

elektrovert

2006-05-28 18:06:54

Hi there,

I'm new round these parts, I've recently discovered MIDI Translator thanks to watching the Kid Beyond video on the Ableton forums.

I'm only looking for MIDI Translator to do one thing for me (even though it's a quite complex task I'd imagine), but I'm having trouble getting the signal to show up in MT.

Here is my setup:

Laptop running Ableton Live 5.
M-Audio Firewire Audiophile soundcard (not connected while I'm setting up this MT Patch)
BCR 2000 connected via USB
Faderfox LX-1
Faderfox LV-1

The 3 controllers are daisy chained together in this fashion:

Faderfox LX-1 to Faaderfox LV-1 to the BCR2000 (all via MIDI) which goes to the computer via USB.

the BCR2000 seems to show up in MT as two seperate audio devices.

MT will capture MIDI from the BCR2000 controls but it doesn't pick up the movements from either of the fader fox controllers. Even though Ableton Live does pick them up.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong??

What I'm looking to use MT for is to reset my A and B mixes in Ableton Live once I've finished using them.

for example:

channels 1 to 8 in live are on the A mix, channels 9 to 16 are on the B mix.

I'll start my gig in the a mix, triggering samples and adjusting the effect sends and so on, then when I'm finished mixing the first sone I'll start to bring the samples on the B mix, eventually I'll fade out mix A entirely and work on my 2nd track on mix B.

At this point I want to be able to press a button on my BCR2000 which will stop all the samples (the stop Buttons for each channel are assigned to individual MIDI note messages) on the A mix as well as reset the Effect sends back to 0 (these are assigned to controller messages from the BCR2000).

This will mean my A mix will be ready to use again once I've finished mixing my second track.

but as I said, I can't get MT to recieve messages from my LX and LV-1's

any ideas??

florian

2006-05-29 00:34:59

Hi elektrovert,

currently, MT can only work on one single Midi Port. Does the MIDI IN on the BCR2000 show up as a separate MIDI port from the BCR Control Port? Check out the MIDI IN menu in MT...
If there are separate MIDI IN's, you'd need to run a separate instance of MT for the LX and LV-1's.

See also
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105

If this is not it, Bome's SendSX might be a tool to find out more about the MIDI connection problem:
http://www.bome.com/midi/sendsx/
Run it and it'll show you any MIDI activity on the currently selected MIDI input port.

Florian

elektrovert

2006-06-16 16:31:31

Thanks! 8)