BCD2000 Ableton 7 Jog Wheel - track selection

razza

2008-02-06 02:30:49

I apologise in advance if theres a thread on this here already..

I am looking at using MT with my BCD2000 to choose tracks in Ableton.

I usually use two audio tracks in session view. So I want to be able to scroll down in each audio track with the left(audio 1) and right(audio 2) jog wheels... any ideas how I can achieve this please?

Thanks!

joesapo

2008-02-06 21:12:15

Hi razza... :D

Abelton Live has a native function for assigning a MIDI controller to scroll up and down the session view (each row is called a 'scene').

The most simple solution would be to map your MIDI controller through MT to the scene selector.

A more complex, but potentially more powerful solution, would be to use MT to translate the two different BCD2k jog wheels (which I assume use relative MIDI signals ie +1/-1) to keyboard commands...

For example;

Left Jog/+1: (Left Up)
Left Jog/-1: (Left Down)
Right Jog/+1: (Left Right Up)
Right Jog/-1: (Left Right Down)

If you give me more info on your Live template I can help you more. I would need to know which tracks you are using in Ableton (#1 and #2 for example) and I would need to know more detailed info on the MIDI transmitted by the jog wheels on the BCD2k since I don't have one. :)

Let me know. :D

razza

2008-02-07 09:59:03

Hiya Joe

Many thanks! Maybe I can email you the template I use, if you PM me your address... would that be ok?

Many thanks!

joesapo

2008-02-07 23:03:00

razza wrote:Hiya Joe

Many thanks! Maybe I can email you the template I use, if you PM me your address... would that be ok?

Many thanks!
Sure. Send me your template via email (you can find my address at the bottom of my post - the email button).

If you'd rather not send me your whole template, a screenshot would do just fine. All I really need to know is how many tracks you're wanting to use, and their positions.

Also, I assume you're using MT Classic?

razza

2008-02-07 23:11:41

On its way mate thanks! I have the trail version of pro, until I get to learn it and actually use :)

joesapo

2008-02-08 00:01:53

Razza...

What I posted below is rather simple, but it should work just fine with the setup you have.

Simply create the 5 translators as shown, and 'Capture MIDI' for each one using a control on your BCD2k.

To capture MIDI;

* Right click on new translator and select 'Edit' (or Ctrl+E)
* Click on the 'Incoming' tab (or F6)
* Click the 'Capture MIDI' checkbox
* Move your jog wheel slowly until it registers a value in the message trigger box
* Uncheck the 'Capture MIDI' checkbox
* Repeat for every other translator, next time moving the jog wheel the oposite direction, then using the other jogwheel

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Have fun. :D

Code: Select all

--------------- Preset BCD2k Jog Wheel

Translator 1: Left Jog Up
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI 
Outgoing: Keystroke: Left Up 

Translator 2: Left Jog Down
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI 
Outgoing: Keystroke: Left Down 

Translator 3: Right Jog Up