Translator forgets settings

OiMutz

2008-01-13 13:55:51

I'm having a recurring difficulty with Translator not remembering settings. Every time I load MT, I have to Open my preset file, and manually set the MIDI in/outs.
Previously MT was working perfectly, but for some unknown reason it stopped. Then I re-installed windows and MT, and MT remembered settings perfectly.
Then I had a power outage which caused XP to shutdown unexpectedly, and now MT doesn't remember settings again. I've tried re-installing MT, but it doesn't fix the problem.
Where are these settings stored?
Any ideas what's wrong?
thanks,
Oi

OiMutz

2008-01-13 14:01:27

I solved the problem, but I still think there's a bug of some sort. I right-clicked the Bome folder, went to properties, and un-selected 'read-only' for the folder and subfolders. I don't know why windows shutting down would cause a folder to become read-only, and I would hope that re-installing MT would have corrected this problem. I'm just glad it's working :)

florian

2008-01-14 11:24:35

Hi,

normally, MT's settings are stored in the registry. If you have, for whatever reason, a file called "MidiTranslator.ini" in your MT installation folder, it will use that file for the settings instead of the registry (that's useful for installing MT on a USB stick). Now if MidiTranslator.ini is set to read-only, it won't be able to store its settings when the program terminates. That's actually a feature: you may want to set the file to read-only to prevent (accidental) changes to your MIDI settings, etc.

Could you check if your folder contains MidiTranslator.ini? If yes, delete it. Then you'll have to do your settings one more time and from then on it'll be saved in the registry.

MT's installer does not change file/folder permissions (for good reasons)...

Regards,
Florian

OiMutz

2008-01-15 04:26:12

Thanks,
I don't seem to have that file, but if the problem ever re-occurs, I'll be sure to look for it. For now, everything is working great.