Tempo messages?

Ozarkeys

2008-01-06 07:49:46

I'm wondering if there are tempo change midi messages that can be used or what can be done to manipulate the tempo or timecode etc.??

Thanks Again!

Ozarkeys

florian

2008-01-09 17:39:37

Hi,

there is no standardized "change tempo" MIDI message. Depending on which software you use, it may have a proprietary way to set the tempo. Consult the software's manual or the manufacturer's support/forum to find that out...

The only thing that the MIDI standard provides regarding tempo is the MIDI timing clock, (hex F8). You can send that from MT, but you must make sure that it's sent regularly 24 times per quarter note. It's possible to set that up with MT's timers, but not trivial...

Regards,
Florian

Ozarkeys

2008-01-28 10:21:00

I've set up a timer to go off 24 times and then set up a translator with the 24 tic timer as input and midi message F8 as output. I have a key set up to send song start pointer pos. then another to to set off the timer. I'm hoping to send out 24 tics per quarter of the midi sync following the tap of my finger on a key.

For some reason the midi sync I've made is not setting my sequencer off. Any ideas?

Thanks--
Ozarkeys

Ozarkeys

2008-01-28 15:49:22

Silly me,
I did the song pointer at the front and the continue and stop, but left out the crucial start signal. Once I realized that, it worked. Now I'm combining the speed detector with the midi sync to vary the tempo.

Thanks for the wonderful product!

---Ozarkeys

florian

2008-01-28 20:03:59

wow, that sounds quite useful! If you have produced a TAP tempo with MT, it would be great to post it here (you can copy/paste translators directly into the forum) or send it to me by email.

Thanks,
Florian

Ozarkeys

2008-01-30 12:42:38

I got the tap tempo to work. I'll post or e-mail soon.

Basically, used the speed detector to provide tt (time between notes) then said uu=tt/24
then took the note on of middle C and produced a 24 tic timer with uu as the repetition delay. Then made the timer set off the timing clock (F8).