Control of Ableton Live not working

solosys

2007-12-21 02:49:07

I use the Vestax VCI-100 for controlling some aspects of Live. I downloaded Bome's because I wanted to use the transport buttons on the VCI-100 to move through the tracks and scenes. Navigating up and down is no problem. I was able to map that directly from Ableton. But navigating from left to right (changin tracks) and launching the highlighted clip. This has to be done with Bome's right? I created a preset. Set up incoming triggers and had them relate to keystrokes. The problem I have is where do I go from here? I have Bome's loaded. I have Midi In selecting my device. I then load up Ableton but then I can't use the midi device because it seems to be in use already. Vice versa if I have Ableton open and then open Bome's, Bome's reports that the midi device is already in use. I installed Midi Yoke. I set the MIdi in to my device, and the output to Midi Yoke:1. After that I can open up Ableton. Select the Midi Yoke1 as the input. But the only thing that works is the functions that I translated. I need all of the other VCI-100's buttons to work also. How can I accomplish both?

florian

2008-01-02 11:06:32

Hi,

sorry for the late reply... and happy New Year!

You're right on track. The issue you're facing is that a MIDI IN port can usually only be used by one application at a time, so your VCI can only either be used by Midi Translator (MT) OR Ableton. The solution is, in fact, the use of a virtual MIDI port like Yoke, and chain the MIDI ports:

VCI -> MT -> Yoke -> Ableton

So, select the VCI as MIDI IN in MT, and Yoke 1 as MIDI OUT in MT. Then, In Ableton, use Yoke 1 as input. The important part is that you should enable "MIDI Thru" in MT, so that MT will route all MIDI data from the VCI on to Yoke.

Hope that helps and let us know how it works.

Regards,
Florian

solosys

2008-01-02 13:51:36

Thanks. I'll try that and see how it goes. Happy New Years to you and your family also