MIDI Thru Question

MarkRM

2007-12-11 09:09:12

Hi guys.

I'm looking to control Ableton Live on two different computers using a single foot controller and MIDI Translator. I want the first computer to receive MIDI messages from the foot controller, translate them and send them to the instance of Live its running, but also forward the untranslated messages from the foot controller on to the second computer, where they will be translated in a different way and sent to the instance of Live THAT computer's running.

I had a FW410 that had a MIDI Thru button. I assume this meant it would receive the messages from the foot controller at its MIDI In while forwarding them directly on to the second computer's audio device through its MIDI Out. Unfortunately, the FW410 hates my computer, so I've had to buy a new audio device that doesn't have this MIDI Thru feature. So, my question is: is there a way to achieve the same result using MIDI Translator itself? I read somewhere about installing two instances of MIDI Translator and having them both open. It seems like I could have one instance receiving the MIDI messages, translating them and sending them to Live, and another instance receiving them, doing no translation, and sending them directly to the audio device's MIDI Out. Assuming this would work, is there another way I'm missing that this could be done, without having double instances of MT?

Cheers!

florian

2007-12-11 18:39:58

Hi Mark,

clearly MT needs multi-port functionality, and we're working on this. But for now it's unlikely that the "two instances" way will work: usually you can open one MIDI IN port only in one instance of MIDI Translator, and not in both.

And even with multi-port functionality, for your setup a hardware thru box is probably the more elegant way, e.g. the QuadraThru from MidiSolutions.

Regards,
Florian

MarkRM

2007-12-12 16:26:54

Hi Florian.

Thanks for the reply. I understand your point about the MIDI Thru box, and it may eventually be necessary, but we really want to try to keep things streamlined (with as much stuff in-the-box as we can) when we're touring. Multi-port would be great. In the meantime, I'll see if I can think of something.

Thanks for your help!
Mark.