Presets within Presets

jimspree

2007-11-20 00:07:55

I dont know if enough people are doing this type of thing to put in a feature request but... I would like to load a preset within a preset. IE: I have a piece of hardware that I want to interface into several different applications. Within each global "application preset" I want sub presets.

I was thinking I could use the global presets for the application. Within those presets I could call up a sub preset by parsing a note on into a timer which sets a global variable and the individual rules look for that global variable to set what the reaction of the button is. IE using rules and global variables as a way around this.

Wondering if Florian had a more "elegant" solution.

Jim

florian

2007-11-20 11:27:03

Hi Jim,

of course your way is possible. I find it more elegant to create one preset per combination of device and app. Then, usually, only one of those presets needs to be activated.
Using the "always active" preset, I use translator(s) to change the currently active preset (with the Outgoing Action "Preset Change", and checking "deactivate all other presets").

You can see this approach in the preset for Frontier Design AlphaTrack. Pressing specific buttons on the AlphaTrack will select specific presets. Or in the preset for Frontier Design TranzPort, there is one button to cycle the currently active preset.

In those presets for the Frontier Design devices, the Incoming Trigger "the current preset is activated" is used to show the name of the currently activated preset on the display of the Frontier Design device.

However, if you want multiple "profiles" for the same app, there is currently no equivalent. You can, of course, create multiple presets for the same app and change those presets just as you'd switch presets of different apps.

Hope that helps!
Florian

jimspree

2007-11-20 22:00:57

Florian,

Thanks, I am doing things exactly as you described. Using the always active preset to launch other presets.

Jim