Player-file related question

metastatik

2007-11-19 21:39:41

Hi Florian. Is it possible to set up Player so that, like Classic/Pro/Author, it reopens the last file that was opened next time you launch it? I can’t find an option to facilitate that.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide and keep up the great work. I love MT.

I should also mention a couple things I noticed when using Author.

First, a very minor quibble, but something you may want to consider changing if possible. With Author, the color of the background screen makes it difficult to see where you are when the “Editor Translator Entry” window is opened. The highlight for the translator changes from blue to gray when you open this window and the gray highlight is pretty close to the same color as the gray background screen.

Also, if an invalid MIDI message is entered in a translator accidentally, it creates an issue. Anytime you go to edit another translator after the invalid message was entered, you get an error message…

“Access violation at address 004DFECC in module ‘MIDI Translator.exe’. Read of address 00000000.”

This will come up even after fixing the invalid message, deleting the translator it was in and/or closing/re-opening the project. You have to restart Author in order to get the error message to go away.

florian

2007-11-20 11:14:37

metastatik wrote:Hi Florian. Is it possible to set up Player so that, like Classic/Pro/Author, it reopens the last file that was opened next time you launch it? I can’t find an option to facilitate that.
Currently, MT Player does not load the last opened project file. You can specify it on the command line for MT Player (e.g. creating shortcut where you enter the command line parameter into the properties of the shortcut). Or start MT Player by double-clicking the .bmtp file.
metastatik wrote:Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide and keep up the great work. I love MT.
very much appreciated 8)
metastatik wrote:With Author, the color of the background screen makes it difficult to see where you are when the “Editor Translator Entry” window is opened. The highlight for the translator changes from blue to gray when you open this window and the gray highlight is pretty close to the same color as the gray background screen.
I cannot reproduce this here. I guess it depends on the display you're using... e.g. laptop displays usually have worse resolution for gray "colors" (though my laptop doesn't exhibit your problem either). We'll do something about it.
metastatik wrote:Also, if an invalid MIDI message is entered in a translator accidentally, it creates an issue. (...)
That's quite a serious problem. I failed to find an invalid MIDI message that would this problem, can you give me an example message?

Thanks,
Florian

metastatik

2007-11-20 14:28:53

I think you’re right about it depending on the display.

An example of a MIDI message that would cause this would be “B0 45 htl”.

And thanks for the info on Player, will try that out.

florian

2007-11-21 11:54:26

hi, thanks for the example. However, when I enter this message it does not show this "access violation" (which, by the way, is quite a serious programming problem and can easily cause a program crash). Are you using the latest version of MT?

Thanks,
Florian

metastatik

2007-11-21 19:09:48

The Player solution worked beautifully, thank you.

I’m using version 1.5 build 816. BTW, I should mention, I’m part of the team that was working on the Total Kontrol Package, so I’ve been using Author for a while now.

As far as the error message, let me be a bit more clear. These are the exact steps that will create it for me everytime.

1. Create a translator with the invalid message as the Incoming message.
2. Create another translator with a valid message.
3. Go back to the translator with the invalid message (as you hypothetically just realized it was incorrect and now you’re going to fix it). The Incoming Trigger type will be listed as “Unknown/Not Supported”. Trying to change this to any other type of incoming action will cause the error message. And, after that point, it will come up any type you open any other translator for editing.

I was wrong about one point though. Deleting the message with the invalid message does solve the problem in some cases, not in others though. I can’t put my finger on why this is.

Also, I’m not sure if it’s of any consequence, but the read address for the error message is different for each of my machines. On one it’s “00000000”. On the other it’s “FFFFFFFF”. Both machines are running XP in a pretty similar configuration.

florian

2007-11-21 19:42:45

Hi Metastatik,
metastatik wrote:I’m using version 1.5 build 816
that explains! this bug is fixed*) in the final release version (which is build 849, way to go...).

Since the TKP team purchased an Author license, you should be able to get hold of it (not that licenses are actually shareable in a team, but correct licensing is your business...).

Regards,
Florian

*) is fixed is programmer's way of saying: I fixed something with such an issue. it may well be possible that it does not fix your specific issue, but it'slikely. :lol:

metastatik

2007-11-21 19:56:06

Good to hear, Florian. Just so you know, Keith and I aren’t sharing the license. I’m still using the beta version with the December expiration date. I will be purchasing my own license before the beta expires. I can’t be without this program.

florian

2007-11-21 21:24:39

:D double nice to hear! (though I can't help you with the bug, then)

Cheers,
Florian

metastatik

2007-11-21 21:53:54

The really good news is, I can’t recreate this issue with the trial version of Author I just downloaded. Nice work.