Left/right functions with one knob.

donny

2007-11-03 00:15:31

Greetings.

I'm using mT in a beat slicing program, and i would like to know if its possible to use one knob to control left and right directions of slice markers.

I've googled "global variable" to see what comes up, and i've read a couple of threads regarding my issue, or issues that relate to mine.

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... l+variable

----

However, they seemed confusing to me, the IF-Then parts... and he range..

when you refer to range, are you talking about from 0-127?

out of te links provided i followed the instructions from this thread as it related to my problem the most..

very thoroughly, and i still didn't get it.. this is where I'm lost at..

Rules: Select a range
Here, select the first range with the following two rules:
IF oo<1 THEN Exit Rules, Do Not Execute Action
IF oo>6 THEN Exit Rules, Do Not Execute Action

say i when i first specify knob to be used for moving or sliding slice to the left,i only want half of the knob to perform that function, which ends at 61, and the other half to turn to the right, which ends at 127.. For the first direction left, when i capture cc from knob i get b9 OC oo....

am i supposed to change the oo to something else? how would i specify the next range for right direction? i'm really lost but i got a slight idea of whati 'm supposed to be doing.

florian

2007-11-07 10:57:13

Hi Donny,

the (non-global) variable oo is set to the last number in the MIDI IN Incoming MIDI message (see the Incoming tab in MT) so in your case, oo is set to the value of the controller from the knob.

Now the forum post you reference explains how to set different Outgoing Actions for different areas of the knob. You would need to create several Translator Entries for each region. The IF rules give an example for the first region with values from 1...6.
Technically, the IF rules will ignore the Outgoing Action if oo is smaller than 1 (1st rule) or greater than 6 (2nd rule). So consequently, the Outgoing Action of that Translator Entry is only triggered when you turn the knob in the far left region, with values from 1 to 6.

Having said this, I'm totally lost what you want to achieve, actually. Could you explain "for dummies" what you try to do? e.g. "I turn the knob to the right, and this causes this MIDI message/keystroke to be generated", etc.

Thanks,
Florian

donny

2007-11-07 13:20:46

thanks..

in short..

i would like to use one knob, to move a slice marker to the left or right...

the range for each knob is 0-127

alt+left and alt+right are shortcuts responsible for handling such functions..

thanks..

florian

2007-11-07 14:30:30

ah, so you mean you want to issue Alt+Left when turning left, and Alt+Right when turning left?

Check out this forum thread:
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=872

Instead of Outgoing "MIDI B0 10 01", use Keystroke Alt+Right, and instead of
Outgoing "MIDI B0 10 41", use Keystroke Alt+Left.

Also, your Incoming MIDI controller should be adapted in all 3 Translator entries.

Let us know if that works for you.

Regards,
Florian

donny

2007-11-07 14:38:46

thanks! i'll report back.

donny

2007-11-07 15:04:47

still a bit confused...

------------------------------
Translator 1: Controller to Endless Knob: Set up delta value
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI BF 0A pp
Rules:
gd=gl-pp
gl=pp
Outgoing: MIDI BF 4D gb

Translator 2: Controller to Endless Knob: Turn Right
Rules:
if gd<=0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: MIDI B0 10 01

Translator 3: Controller to Endless Knob: Turn Left
Rules:
if gd>=0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: MIDI B0 10 41

----------------------

not sure why I'm having a hard time applying these to what i want to do, but when I'm capturing midi for incoming i see all these values, but the default value seems to always end with "oo" .. and i noticed for your midi entrys you have "MIDI' before the message... is that necessary to include?

do i have to change the "oo" to "pp"?

------

"instead of Outgoing "MIDI B0 10 01", use Keystroke Alt+Right, and instead of
Outgoing "MIDI B0 10 41", use Keystroke Alt+Left.""

i got that part right at least.. but how does this part apply to me?

----
Translator 1: Controller to Endless Knob: Set up delta value
Rules:
gd=gl-pp
gl=pp

-----

what would be the outgoing action for that in my case? as you've only specified what i should do with the last two entries..

-----

since i'm only defining one knob, all messages i get are these..

B9 5B-- 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09---0A,0B-0c,0e,0f-----10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20---1A..

and so forth...

I'm pretty sure that was not needed but i thought i'd include it just for the sake of showing what i got to work with...

florian

2007-11-07 15:34:33

donny wrote:not sure why I'm having a hard time applying these to what i want to do, but when I'm capturing midi for incoming i see all these values, but the default value seems to always end with "oo" .. and i noticed for your midi entrys you have "MIDI' before the message... is that necessary to include?

do i have to change the "oo" to "pp"?
MIDI just means the type of the Incoming message. Do not enter it in the field.
And yes, change the automatic oo's to pp.
donny wrote:Translator 1: Controller to Endless Knob: Set up delta value
Rules:
gd=gl-pp
gl=pp

what would be the outgoing action for that in my case? as you've only specified what i should do with the last two entries..
You don't need an outgoing action here, so set it to "None". Do not delete the entire Translator entry, because the rules need to be executed.

Hope that helps,
Florian

donny

2007-11-07 15:56:23

excellent work...

it works.. but in a way i didn't desire...

i would like do this in a way that would instruct the knob to turn in a specific direction according to range 0-127..

as of now the slicer marker just turns left or right depending on direction which i turn....

i would like to be able to have half of the knob turn left...... in between 0-63 , and right for 63-127...

is this possible?

so in other words.... i could keep wiggling the knob and it turns left as long as I'm wiggling it between 0-63, and when i turn the knob hard to the right, 63-127 allows me to move slice to right given i don't go below 63..

florian

2007-11-07 16:57:44

ah OK, that's even easier:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:04 am Post subject:
still a bit confused...

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Controller in upper half
Incoming: MIDI B0 0A pp
Rules:
if pp<=64 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action 
Outgoing: Keystroke: Alt+Right