Program Change messages in MT? Roland GFC50

Max Oepen

2007-10-18 09:23:03

Program Change messages have always been a bit mysterious to me.

I'm trying to figure out if I can use Roland's GFC50 pedal controller (http://www.bananas.com/productdetail.as ... ller-Pedal)
to change presets in MT Pro.
Since this controller is designed to send out Program Change messages, I'm concerned that this will either not be recognized by MT Pro and/or mess with other Midi devices in my chain.

I prefer using CC or note messages.

I know this is more or less basic midi stuff, I just always found that Program Change messages can make things complicated quickly or cause unwanted results.

Max.

florian

2007-10-23 21:19:38

Hi Max,

sorry for the late reply. I don't quite understand the problem with program change (PC) messages -- though I can imagine that they mess up things if routed to the wrong receiver (e.g. which will then change the currently played voice).

Midi Translator handles PC messages just as any other MIDI message, so there shouldn't be any problem from MT's side.

Regards,
Florian

FreeBee

2007-10-24 04:54:35

I think I see what Max is referring to. If multiple instuments are connected, they might all recieve the program change signal.

But that's why they invented channels on midi devices. If the Pedal is a truly MIDI-compatible device, you should have an option to select any of 16 channel for data transfer. If MT is the only 'device' listening on that same channel, then MT will be the only one picking up the PC message.

Other devices, listening to other channels, won't change programs.

So check if the Pedal supports channel selection. That should do it.

Enjoy,
FreeBee