automatic (unwanted) setup changes - a flaw?

Max Oepen

2007-09-25 02:10:47

Hi there,

Why does MT Pro reset the settings in the alt menus?

I just waisted a good hour trouble-shooting why my files didn't translate/midi-out the way they should and used to. Found out that the problem was that the check marks in the alt menus (in this case "options") had changed. Specifically, "midi thru" was unchecked (i'm using midi yoke).

i have the same problem when opening two instances of MT Pro:
The "Midi in" and Midi out" settings are automatically reset to none.

I would consider this an important "feature request" as those little things can really screw with the work flow and frustrate the heck out of someone before he even started working yet..

I believe that part of the elegance of this program comes from the fact that changes can so easily be made. One doesn't get bogged down with confirmation messages etc.
On the other hand, I do wish that certain settings such as these were a bit more solid.

As always, thanks for your support and for an awesome program!

M.O.

PS: On the same note: I would also like to control more preferences, such as what file MT Pro loads upon startup. (or is that already available?)

florian

2007-09-25 19:46:21

Hi Max,

you're absolutely right, such things can be a nightmare, especially in e.g. live situations!

Possible problem cause
I guess you are a victim of this scenario:

Start MT (i.e. MT1). Use it with the usual settings.

Start another instance: MT2. Play a little bit with the settings, e.g. uncheck MIDI thru, choose different MIDI devices.

Quit MT1. It will save the settings (in the registry).

Quit MT2. It will save its settings (i.e. the disabled MIDI thru), overwriting the settings of MT1.

The next time you start MT, you'll use MT2's settings.

There isn't really a solution for this exact scenario.

How to prevent the problem
But I suggest to never start 2 instances of MT, unless you use copied and renamed instances of MidiTranslator.exe. When the filename is different, it will use its own set of settings, so it will not overwrite the other instance's settings.

Re: MIDI device selection lost
Also, regarding MIDI devices: often, MIDI devices can only be opened by one program at a time. Starting MT twice will therefore cause the second instance to try to open the same MIDI devices as the first instance, but fail, because it's already open by the first instance. Therefore, the second instance will not be able to open the selected MIDI device and consequently have "none" selected.

Other than that, I have never experienced lost settings myself. If you find that your settings get lost nonetheless, let me know (at best with a detailed description of what you did...).

Thanks and best regards,
Florian

Max Oepen

2007-09-25 23:56:28

How to prevent the problem
But I suggest to never start 2 instances of MT, unless you use copied and renamed instances of MidiTranslator.exe. When the filename is different, it will use its own set of settings, so it will not overwrite the other instance's settings.
So all I have to do is create a copy of "MidiTranslator.exe" and execute that as my second instance? Won't it access the same .dll ?

If this works, that would indeed be an acceptable solution. (I have to use two instances as I am using two controllers.)

As far as losing the "midi thru" setting, I don't know why it got unchecked, I need it checked for all my setups.

M.O.

Max Oepen

2007-09-26 00:21:20

Quit MT1. It will save the settings (in the registry).
Quit MT2. It will save its settings (i.e. the disabled MIDI thru), overwriting the settings of MT1.
just wondering why the settings get saved "in the registry" and not with the individual file. And if it does get saved in the file, why is it that the registry settings in this case overwrite what's been saved in the file?

thanks for helping me understand,

Max.

florian

2007-09-26 21:57:23

Max Oepen wrote:So all I have to do is create a copy of "MidiTranslator.exe" and execute that as my second instance? Won't it access the same .dll ?
For most things that will work flawlessly. The only problem is when using Keystrokes as Incoming Trigger, which currently only works from one instance.
Max Oepen wrote:just wondering why the settings get saved "in the registry" and not with the individual file. And if it does get saved in the file, why is it that the registry settings in this case overwrite what's been saved in the file?
Midi Translator writes all the settings (i.e. all the stuff under the Options menu, and which MIDI devices are used) to the registry, and not to .bmtp files (this is just standard Windows behavior). Those settings are considered "global". For many settings you probably wouldn't want a .bmtp file to change it, e.g. enable the tray icon or not. For the MIDI devices, and for the MIDI thru setting, however, I agree that it might be useful to store them in a .bmtp file. is that it?

Florian

Max Oepen

2007-09-27 03:38:28

For the MIDI devices, and for the MIDI thru setting, however, I agree that it might be useful to store them in a .bmtp file. is that it?
yes, that's it. I would definitely prefer those to be stored in the .bmtp file.

As far as "standard Windows behavior" is concerned, most if not all of my audio apps and other programs have a separate window for "preferences". I always prefer that to just making changes to the different pull-down menus.

But again, I admire your program for its elegance. I am a huge fan of simplicity, especially when it comes to MIDI + audio where things can rapidly get so convoluted and confusing. When I'm trying to keep track of two instances of MT Pro, Ableton Live, Reason, plugins, audio card control panel, etc, not to mention my outboard gear and finally the music,
things better be as simple to use as possible. Even the smallest unexpected thing, like a plain old "midi thru" setting can possibly derail the whole thing.

Using two instances of MT Pro
I copied the MidiTranslator.exe with a different name and am using that as my second instance. I am still getting the "Another instance already uses watchdll.dll. Overriding it" error.

Do I have to create a copy of the watchdll.dll as well?
Am I missing something else?

edit: Aah, I noticed that although I still get that error, the alt-menu settings are now preserved (I hope that's reliable).

Thanks,
Max.

florian

2007-09-28 15:04:30

Max Oepen wrote:As far as "standard Windows behavior" is concerned, most if not all of my audio apps and other programs have a separate window for "preferences". I always prefer that to just making changes to the different pull-down menus.
I agree. MT has evolved, but some parts haven't evolved as much... Future versions of MT will have a separate settings window.
Max Oepen wrote:Do I have to create a copy of the watchdll.dll as well?
no, you guessed right: the watchdll is only necessary for Keystroke Input. Any MIDI stuff is not affected. This is a problem that we hope to fix with the final release.

Other than that, I agree about simplicity - though the more features, the more difficult to present them to the user in a simple manner...

Florian