Translate key regardless of velocity?

Bryan

2007-09-08 19:58:01

Short of defining 127 translators, can I program a MIDI key to do the same thing regardless of velocity? For now, I'm using velocity 0--key up--but would prefer to have the macro occur on key down.

Bryan

2007-09-08 20:42:45

OK, by accident I discovered that a velocity of "oo" means any velocity, including, alas, velocity 0. I would like translation on key down, but not key up.

florian

2007-09-10 15:23:16

Hi Bryan,

yes, oo is a variable that receives the velocity. So in general, you want to do the translation only when oo is not 00. You can also use pp, qq, ... I tend to use pp as default variable because oo can be confused with 00 (zero zero). So in the following, I use pp.

there are 2 options:

1) use MT Pro:
it has the Rules feature where you would add a rule of the sort "IF pp = 00 THEN do not execute this translator action".
Example:

Code: Select all

TRANSLATOR 1: translate Note On
INCOMING: MIDI IN 90 40 pp
RULE: IF pp = 00 THEN "exit rules, do not execute this outgoing action"
OUTGOING: <what you need>
2) With MT Classic:
create an additional translator entry to swallow the MIDI event with velocity 00.
Some important points:
- this translator has the MIDI command with 00 (zero zero)
- this translator has NONE as outgoing action
- this translator must occur before the other translator in the list
- this translator must have "stop processing" checked, so that it will abandon this input event after processing this "swallowing" translator.

So, in short, this would work then:

Code: Select all

TRANSLATOR 1: swallow note off
Stop Processing: checked
INCOMING: MIDI IN 90 40 00
OUTGOING: none

TRANSLATOR 2: translate Note On
INCOMING: MIDI IN 90 40 pp
OUTGOING: <what you need>
Hope that helps!
Florian

Bryan

2007-09-10 17:07:23

Excellent, Florian--thanks so much.

frivo

2007-09-25 20:18:39

I'm new with this MidiTranslator, but I think the program is very interesting!
This topic can maybe help me with a problem, but I don´t understand where I shall put the codes in the classic version? The bmtp-files does not seems like the code florian wrote in the example.

(I have ver 1.40, is this a wrong version? I didn´t found another Classic versions.)

florian

2007-09-26 21:47:51

the "codes" I present are just a shrunk way of describing the individual translator entries in MIDI Translator (yes, the Classic version 1.40 is the most recent one, but you cannot do rules with it. You need the Pro version for Rules).

So after starting Midi Translator, create a new Translator, then click on edit. The Edit Window will open, where you can separately enter Options, Incoming, and Outgoing. The Pro version will offer another tab for Rules. On each tab, put the info presented in the "Code".

Florian