How to set up multiple function to one rotary?

soundwave

2007-08-31 14:19:26

Hello, I am new to this program, (i installed it with yoke, opened it,
freaked out when i saw all the "commands" and uninstalled it after my uc 33 wasn't found in ableton live or standalone vstis, it fearing that i could do some damage to software, is it possible?, (if I uninstall i can't really learn it....can I?)
I can't find any kind of "manual" to know what to assign to who???
I can assign midi CCs to my harware, no problem-basic knowledge.
What I would like to do [IN ABLETON] is to assign to "A" rotary on my uc33controller- 20 clips in track 1 in SESSIONS view, that will trigger clips from 1 to 20; clip 1 ON [from 1-6], OFF 6. Clip 2 ON [from 6-12] OFF 12 etc, and so on, to turn the rotary and trigger clips, 20 clips to a fader, 127 : 20=6 per clip.
How can it be done? is it possible? :oops: where do i start???
My set up is edirol pcr 50 keyboard ,uc 33 controller, pc / windows XP and m audio firewire solo..all with usb cables.
Thanx in advance.

florian

2007-09-02 17:01:48

Hi,

no need to freak out :lol:

Midi Translator (MT) cannot do any harm (unless you tell it to...).

A manual is still missing, we're working on that. [update: we're shipping manuals since 2007]

The scenario you want to do can be done with MT Pro (because you need the Rules for that).

In MT, select the UC33 as MIDI Input.

Then start by creating a new Translator Entry, select it in the list, and edit it (Ctrl-E or the edit button).

A translator has a General/Options section, Incoming Trigger section, a Rules section, and an Outgoing Action.

General/Options:
For these translator entries, uncheck "Stop Processing".

Incoming Trigger: MIDI
Use MIDI Capture and turn the UC33 knob - it should display something like "B0 20 pp" in the MIDI field. pp is a variable that will receive the actual value when you turn the knob at runtime. Thanks to the variable, the Incoming MIDI message will always trigger when you turn the knob at all.

Rules: Select a range
Here, select the first range with the following two rules:
IF pp<1 THEN Exit Rules, Do Not Execute Action
IF pp>6 THEN Exit Rules, Do Not Execute Action

Outgoing Action: Trigger clip in Ableton
Select Keystroke Emulation as output action. Enter the keyboard shortcut for playing the first clip, e.g. "A". Of course, you need to set up Ableton to play the first clip when pressing A. You can also use key combinations like Ctrl+A, in which case MT will display it as Ctrl(A).

Also, you can configure MT to output MIDI data to Ableton. In that case, use a virtual MIDI cable like Yoke to connect MT and Ableton.

Now turning the knob in the first range should trigger the clip in Ableton Live - make sure that Live is activated and the topmost window.

Now repeat the process above, creating one translator entry each for every range. It will be convenient to use the Duplicate Translator function (Ctrl-D). Edit the Rules to exclude the next range. Then adapt the Outgoing Action so that it triggers the second clip, and so on.

Let us know how/if that works.

Regards,
Florian

soundwave

2008-04-23 11:21:37

Hi Florian,
could it be possible that you could write the step 2 in the translator (with an example) please? I would like to map this to a dual function rotary,
like this: push=activate track.
Turn rotary=activate clips.
0-5 clip #1 plays
5-10clip #2 plays etc....
In live ther is no need to "turn off" the previous clip, it can play only one at a time.

Florian wrote:
In MT, select the UC33 as MIDI Input.

Then start by creating a new Translator Entry, select it in the list, and edit it (Ctrl-E or the edit button).

A translator has a General/Options section, Incoming Trigger section, a Rules section, and an Outgoing Action.

General/Options:
For these translator entries, uncheck "Stop Processing".

Incoming Trigger: MIDI
Use MIDI Capture and turn the UC33 knob - it should display something like "B0 20 pp" in the MIDI field. pp is a variable that will receive the actual value when you turn the knob at runtime. Thanks to the variable, the Incoming MIDI message will always trigger when you turn the knob at all.

Rules: Select a range
Here, select the first range with the following two rules:
IF pp<1 THEN Exit Rules, Do Not Execute Action
IF pp>6 THEN Exit Rules, Do Not Execute Action

Outgoing Action: Trigger clip in Ableton
Select Keystroke Emulation as output action. Enter the keyboard shortcut for playing the first clip, e.g. "A". Of course, you need to set up Ableton to play the first clip when pressing A. You can also use key combinations like Ctrl+A, in which case MT will display it as Ctrl(A).
Florian wrote:
Then adapt the Outgoing Action so that it triggers the second clip, and so on.
How do I do that? What do you assign to it? Midi message,or none?...

I tried your "way", it worked but not the way I wanted it to, it didn't return to clip 1 it got stuck on last one#4, and in fiddling with it, I lost the "set up," because it was all experimenting :cry:
So if you don't mind...
TIA

Tuur

2008-04-23 11:45:46

Have you tried the last 'update' in the other thread?

It works great now (including Live mapping) with only 1 translator...

soundwave

2008-04-23 12:18:28

Thanx Tuur, yes I did but :oops:
And I am starting to feel like I'm taking up your time....
Sorry, thanx for all your help...

Tuur

2008-04-23 12:23:58

No prob man. :)

Just making sure Florian has more time for the upcoming MT version. :P

florian

2008-04-27 18:14:51

very much appreciated :)

stax67

2009-07-04 19:44:47

hi,

we're on a mac running 1.6,1 build 227, am i right in assuming we have to use individual translators as described by florian above with this version?

also is it possible to set this up so the outgoing signal isn't sent until a separate button or key is pressed?

cheers,
stax

florian

2009-07-08 10:49:56

Hi Stax,

at the time of this thread and the other being referred to, version 1.6.1 was already available in the PC version, so I assume you can do it as a "one translator" version, too, on Mac.

And yes, it is possible to prevent output unless a different button or key is pressed.

E.g. To use the middle C key on a keyboard as "momentary on" for a different controller, consider this preset:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Press Middle C to set flag g0
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI 90 3C pp 
Rules: 
  g0=pp
Outgoing: (none)

Translator 2: Release Middle C to unset flag g0
Incoming: MIDI 80 3C pp 
Rules: 
  g0=0
Outgoing: (none)

Translator 3: Pass through controller only if g0 is set
Incoming: MIDI B0 01 pp 
Rules: 
  if g0==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: MIDI B0 01 pp 
Here, g0 (you can use any other global variable for that) is used to store the current velocity of the middle C key (which has MIDI note 60, which, in hex notation, is 3C) that you press down. When you release it, your MIDI controller/keyboard either sends Note On with velocity 0, so g0 will be set to 0 in the first translator entry. Or, some other MIDI gear sends the "proper" Note Off command, in which case translator 2 will set g0 to 0.
Now to the gist: translator 3 reacts on controller #1, and only outputs it (unaltered) if g0 is not 0: the rules line will bail out of this translator if g0 is 0.

Hope that makes sense!
Florian

stax67

2009-07-10 16:08:08

Cheers Florian,

I have found another way of implementing the idea from the first post:

Translator 1. Select Clip.

Incoming trigger:
eg "B2 00 oo"

Rules:
pp=oo/4 (the /4 gives you a range of 64 clip, so /8 would give 16)
Exit Rules, skip Outgoing Action

Tranaslator 2. Play Clip

Incoming trigger:
eg "92 01 7f

Rules:
No Rules

Outgoing trigger:
eg "95 pp 7f"

this seems to work so far

cheers Stax

florian

2009-07-14 18:18:14

hi, very elegant solution, thanks!
Florian

soundchk

2009-10-23 05:25:16

Hello,

I am new to midi translator and want to set up my uc-33 for live djing.

how do I set up my uc-33 so I can navigate left to right in ableton?

I Also want to do multiple functions with a single knob, for example: have an effect mapped to a knob and when i reach a certain value on knob another clip is triggered? 8)