Multiple Midi inputs in the future?

timothyallan

2007-08-21 01:54:28

Just curious if the new beta, or a future release might be able to handle multiple midi inputs?

i.e. The ability to process input from a BCR2000 as well as input from MIDI Yoke 1 coming from an application? Or input from MIDI Yoke 1 and 2 from two applications etc etc...

florian

2007-08-21 11:53:05

yes, this is a very important feature request. The concept is worked out, but it will be quite a "deep" change in MT, so this feature won't make it into the next beta.

For now, people use the trick to start multiple instances of MT. If you create a copy of MidiTranslator.exe (in the C:\Program Files tree) and rename that copy of the file to a different filename, it will use its own distinct set of settings.

E.g.
Copy MidiTranslator.exe -> MT_BCR2000.exe
Copy MidiTranslator.exe -> MT_Tranzport.exe

Then you can set up MT_BCR2000.exe to open the BCR MIDI port, and MT_Tranzport.exe to use the Tranzport MIDI IN. It's not problem of running many instances of MT simultaneously. However you will notice that some MIDI ports cannot be opened simultaneously in different instances.

Florian

timothyallan

2007-08-21 12:01:21

That might just work. I didn't think you could have multiple instances because of the watcher sharing issue? I guess that is only when the executable is named the same. I'll give it a shot. :)

florian

2007-08-21 12:17:09

no that's true, if you use Keyboard Input, that will only work in the last opened MT instance. But everything else will work (just ignore the Watcher error message).

The watcher thing will be fixed, too.

Florian