variables in outgoing key stroke/launch app with vars

flo

2007-07-23 19:06:34

Hi guys!

I play the keyboards in a band and would like to have a digital music stand. I'd use a MIDIfied PC on stage and would like to display a PDF that is associated to the current song.

It would be great if it was somehow possible to gather the program change information, store it in a variable and use it in the outgoing key strokes. So far, I have not succeded using variables in key strokes, neither in the standard 1.4 version nor in the latest Pro version (I think 1.5).

Some help would be greatly appreciated! :D
If there is no solution I would have to manually create one translator for each and every song and I really hope I'll be spared from that...

Later,
Flo

florian

2007-07-26 12:29:22

Hi Flo,

indeed, currently, you cannot use variables in the keystrokes. How exactly would you use them?

e.g. if the variable is "100", then type the keys 1, 0, 0? Or type a key with virtual key code 100?

Let me know,
Florian

flo

2007-07-26 16:10:36

Hi Florian,

yes, it would be very nice if the program change value "100" (e.g. C064) could be translated into the individual keystrokes 1,0,0 in order that I could, for instance, open a PDF called "Song 100.pdf" where 100 would be the variable.

Do you think you could do some magic to make this work? This would indeed be wonderful! Have you ever thought of building in a feature that would enable to directly call another application instead of having to do this rather long windedly with keystrokes. That would be the perfect solution for what I intend to use it.

Thanks for your reply!
Flo

florian

2007-08-02 15:35:26

thanks, I understand now. I'll add such a function in a future version.

I wouldn't know how to "call applications" directly, there need to be some kind of communication link... I do have a feature for sending WM_* messages to other applications, but that's rather hacky.

Florian

flo

2007-08-02 17:42:28

Hi!

Perhaps I have expressed myself too awkwardly. What I meant by "calling" an application was simply to execute or start an application. As a parameter I would be able to include the file name as a variable. I am not a programmer, but I cannot imagine that this sort of thing is very difficult to do. I might be wrong, though.

Hope

florian

2007-08-04 15:07:46

ok, that's indeed easy to do. And it's already planned for a later version of MT.

Regards,
Florian

flo

2007-08-04 17:22:22

This is very good to hear news. Can you tell me roughly when this feature will be implemented? This would definitely make me get MT Pro!

Anxious to hear your plans,
Flo

PS: I hope I am posting this in the correct forum as it might perhaps rather belong to the Feature Request forum...?

florian

2007-08-10 09:49:48

Hi Flo,

we generally don't disclose release dates or future feature availability. I do consider this feature as quite important.

The only thing to speed up things is the feature rush service:
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=178

Regards,
Florian

flo

2007-08-10 12:04:35

Okay, in this case, I think I'll wait for the new feature being included as a standard feature. In the meantime I'll probably work around the problem by creating individual translators for each program change number.

I look forward to using the new feature whenever it'll be available.

Flo

flo

2008-07-18 12:03:48

Hey Florian,

this is what I meant with my Feature Request that I also posted a short time ago. Is this feature already implemented. If not, I guess I would indeed be interested using the rush service.

Thanks,
Flo