Getting Started with Ableton Live and Midi Translator

coop80

2007-05-31 11:00:31

Hi All,

Can anybody help a frustrated Midi newbie!

I am trying to get complete freedom from my mouse/keyboard when DJing with Ableton Live which I thought was impossible until I came across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1Ko630Ytc

Can anyone give me a simple guide on how to assign keystrokes to a midi controller and then use them in ableton live. Ultimately I am trying to get Mouseless control over the navigation of ableton and the browser.

I have downloaded Midi Translator but unfortunately have not yet had any success in using it. Do I need any addition software for it to work with Live?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Coop

josephperkins

2007-06-01 16:53:52

Check out the thread on Wii Remote programming,

i'm trying to write a script to control ableton with a wii remote,

Let me know if your interested,

I could send you the setup files

Joe

florian

2007-06-04 20:33:30

also check out this tutorial:
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1583

Regards,
Florian

rslane32

2007-06-07 17:30:22

hey,

i opened midi tanslator and had no clue. i found the quickest way to get going was to import a preset (any preset) that comes with mt. then i had a footpedal with 10 buttons so i deleted all but 10 of the "translators" in the list.
then i clicked on each one and selected the " capture midi in" checkbox
and tapped on a button. it was easy to clear and edit the message out too.
then i renamed each one and I was in business. as a simple mnemonic I assigned the pedal buttons to spell "play stuf" now i use the letters p, l, a, y etc. in ableton when i edit the key map . i'm not sure if this is the right way to do it or the right letters to choose but it's quick and dirty and works for me.
it works great. I have a simple yamaha foot controller mfc05.

Scott

update,
I tried to make MTpress the down arrow key but it didn't work for me and i decided to use the top row of letters so i could still use the built in keyboard midi keyboard (however you say that)
I also tried to play chords adg and fhk on the built in keyboard. that didn't work either :>) can't blame me for trying.

florian

2007-06-07 19:25:00

Hi Scott, thanks for this great simple guide for a quick start!
Florian