Xone 3D Jog Wheels + Virtual DJ

DJ Green Lite

2007-05-13 05:55:54

Hello! This is my first post on here :)

OK!

I use a program called Virtual DJ and love it. However I now own a Xone 3D mixer and am faced with quite a problem now. :?

I have learned that my jogs are optical and transmit fine 14-bit cc's .

====The Question====
Can MT translate fine cc messages into all 7-bit coarse ones?

If im not mistaken, the bcd2000 uses fine messages as well.

Florian, wonderful product sir....i have not used it yet.....but if the answer to my problems lie in your program then i will be purchasing it NO QUESTION.

-G

florian

2007-05-14 12:01:55

Hi, 14-bit controllers are downward compatible with 7-bit controllers. Devices/software that only understands 7-bit controllers will ignore the "unused" 7 bit messages. So your setup should just work, if Virtual DJ can work with 7-bit controllers, and the controller numbers correspond to the ones that your mixer sends.

Regards,
Florian

DJ Green Lite

2007-05-14 15:02:21

This is a quote from jpboggis on the Virtual DJ forum.
Thanks for taking the time Florian!:mrgreen:
The jogwheel problem is a known fault with the current MIDI support in VDJ. Most MIDI jogwheels typically work by sending a value of 0 for left and 127 for right on the same CC (Control Change) number. VDJ is not currently able to interpret this properly, but hopefully this will be fixed in a future update (Possibly 4.0 with support for the Behringer BCD2000 being added, which is a MIDI controller that will also suffer from this problem.)

The only current way around this is if the MIDI controller (The Xone 3D) allows the MIDI commands it sends for jogwheel left/right to be customised so that left/right movements are sent on two separate CC numbers that can then be mapped separately in VDJ (E.g: scratch -512 for left and scratch +512 for right.)

The other issue you may come across is conflicts with buttons and knobs due to the fact that VDJ does not distinguish between MIDI notes (Buttons) and CC's (Knobs/sliders/jogwheels) - Again, this may be fixed in 4.0 if the MIDI support is improved. You can also fix the problem if the controller allows the MIDI mappings to be edited (So that you can give each note and CC a unique number.) You will also find that the pitch slider works in reverse (Up = Speed up rather than slow down.)

The rotary pots should work though - These will typically send a CC with a value between 0 - 127, which VDJ actions such as volume, gain, bass, etc. should interpret correctly if given a value of 0 or 'auto'. However, the Xone 3D is an expensive controller, so may utilise fine/course CC's to allow finer adjustments (Effectively two CC's used together to provide 16384 steps rather than the normal 128) - VDJ will not currently understand this. You may need to configure the Xone 3D to send course CC's only.

florian

2007-05-14 15:57:39

with MT Pro, you can fix such issues as wrong controller number or controller value, and direction of controllers. Regarding 14-bit controllers sent by your device, jpboggies ignores the fact that 14-bit controllers are always compatible with 7-bit controllers.

Regards,
Florian