Art X-15 Foot Controller and Guitar Rig

egelmett

2007-04-17 23:15:50

I have an X-15 controller and Guitar Rig.

The problem is that Guitar Rig expects a "momentary" switch such as a value 127 CC then 0 CC to affect a change in a processor's state.

To turn on Skreamer for instance, it must receive both a high and low value, the same goes to turn it off.

The X-15 only sends one value when a button is pressed. The result is, it takes two presses of a button to toggle the state of Guitar Rig's processors.

Can MT receive a CC value 127, output it, and then send a CC value 0 just after?

I've played with it for a few hours and can't seem to make this work.

Any ideas?

mattz

2007-06-13 09:34:55

Hi, I am also having trouble adapting the Art Ultrafoot to Guitar Rig.
Pressing each button twice for every turn-on/turn-off is unbearable. I have a Midi Monitor in Soundiver that should make things easier.

The Ultrafoot broadcasts an alternating signal with each press: the first output is low (00) and then, with the next press, it outputs High (127). when Guitar Rig receives a High value (127), the device turns on and off. Nothing happens when the Low value is received. So our goal using MT is to translate a CC value of 00 to 127. Seems easy enough.

However, I can't get MT/Midi Yoke to send just the high value: the original value always goes through, too. I have midi thru switched off, and the "output both translated action and incoming message" box is unchecked. I have 2 translators active: one translating low to high, and one just putting through the high value.

The Midi monitor says:

14:25:10.203 (+1235) Input: MIDI Yoke NT: 1
B0 4F 7F
B0 4F 7F

14:25:10.796 (+593)
B0 4F 00
B0 4F 7F

This does not succeed in turning the devices on and off in GR. Again, I believe successive High values will work.

Next case: here, I do have Midi Thru activated; no Translators are active. Again, 2 instances of each command get put through to Midi Yoke Ch.1. Each time I press the pedal, the Midi Monitor shows:

14:21:21.828 (+9110) Input: MIDI Yoke NT: 1
B0 4F 7F
B0 4F 7F

Next Press:

14:22:18.125 (+56297)
B0 4F 00
B0 4F 00

and so on. (This is just to demonstrate that the original CC signal seems to be getting through, regardless of the MT settings.)

I think that if I can get the 1st entry out of there, I'll be in business. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Matt

florian

2007-06-17 20:37:57

Hi,

it should work the way you try. Could you copy/paste the contents of the .bmtp file here (open with a text editor)?

You should also be able to explicitly "swallow" MIDI events by using them as Incoming Action, and None as Outgoing Action. That should even swallow events if Thru is enabled.

And please try with MT Pro beta to see if it works. It includes a "Log" in the options menu, which should tell you quite detailed what is going on inside MT.

Thanks,
Florian

mattz

2007-06-27 11:22:40

Hi Florian, sorry for the inattentiveness. I did download Pro, and it exhibits the same behaviour. Here is the file:

[Project]
Version=1
[Preset.0]
Name=Ultrafoot
Active=1
Name0=Lo to Hi
Incoming0=MID1B04F00
Outgoing0=MID1B04F7F
Options0=Actv01Stop01OutO00
Name1=Hi Thru
Incoming1=MID1B04F7F
Outgoing1=MID1B04F7F
Options1=Actv01Stop01OutO00

Much appreciated! Breathing life into this old but perfectly good piece of gear would be a dream.
~matt

florian

2007-07-02 13:49:02

Your bmtp file looks fine, but as I've understood it, the Guitar Rig needs values 7F followed by 00, right? so it can be made easier by doing this:

Incoming: B0 4F pp
Outgoing: B0 4F 7F B0 4F 00

Then you don't need a second Translator Entry.

Let me know how it works. If you still have problems, check the Log window in MT Pro to see if, and what, MT is receiving/sending?

Thanks,
Florian

mattz

2007-07-06 05:13:38

Yes! That is it. For anyone else desiring to use the Art X-15 Ultrafoot with Guitar Rig, I will post the .bmtp file below. Open the .bmtp file in Midi Translator. This makes use of 11 switches: the 10 normal footswitches + the bypass switch. The Ultrafoot should be in Mode 2 (the one where all of the switches light up individually--NOT patch select mode).

This could have other uses as well: Basically, the Ultrafoot now sends Momentary CC messages. Here's the .bmtp file:
http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/pre ... ar_Rig.zip

Good luck! Lastly, all thanks to Bome. Be well.

~Matt

florian

2007-07-06 10:53:36

Hi Matt,

thanks for the great preset! I've put it up for download (and edited your post to include that link, hope that's OK) and I'll include the preset in the next MT release.

Regards,
Florian

flyaxxe

2007-07-09 02:03:32

Hi,

After downloading your Art X15 file I can in fact get the effects to turn on and off but it still takes pressing the cc switch twice in order to activate/deactivate that particular effect. I have in the past remedied this with inputting keystokes as an output. I found your post regarding this issue interesting and decided to readdress it to see if I could also get the cc swtiches LED to indicate if the effect was on or off. No luck there either.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Greg

florian

2007-07-09 11:25:20

hmmm, in theory it should work with MT Pro. But I don't have an Art X 15 around so I cannot try.

Regards,
Florian

mattz

2007-07-09 18:17:14

Hi Greg,

Have you re-assigned (re-Learned) the controllers from within Guitar Rig? Just a thought. Everything works well for me. As for the lights on the pedal corresponding to on/off state, the best I've been able to do is to make sure that my most-used GR preset begins with each effect off, and that the Ultrafoot is freshly started with all lights off.

Also, I made a mistake on the .bmtp file. I have 2 controller 4A entries; one of them should be for CC 49. So, could you please replace these lines:

Incoming3=MID1B04app
Outgoing3=MID1B04a7FB04a00
Options3=Actv01Stop01OutO00

with:

Incoming3=MID1B049pp
Outgoing3=MID1B0497FB04900
Options3=Actv01Stop01OutO00

Thanks!

Bean Machine

2007-08-19 05:52:10

Hi Guys - Thanks for all the info above.

I have downloaded Mattz's file and the correction, but I still need to press the switches twice to start or stop the effects in Guitar Rig 2. What am I doing wrong?

I assume the signal has to pass through MT before it reaches Guitar Rig, but as both pieces of software are on the same PC, how do I route the signal from X-15 to MT and then on to GR2?

I'm using Soundblaster Audigy 2 and have the X-15 connected to both midi In & Out. I assume the signal is reaching both MT & GR2 at the same time, and that is why I'm stuck with double clicking the footswitches.

Hope you can help, as this is very frustrating.

Bean Machine

2007-08-20 09:04:56

Just spotted the mention of Midi Yoke above.

Found the website - Downloaded - Installed - Problem solved.

Only problem is that Midi Yoke really freezes Guitar Rig on my Win2000 PC, but at least I only need to press the fx switches once, and I can see on the X-15 which effects are switched on.

Now I'm happy again.

PS - I had to change all the incoming messages on Mattz's file. Changed all the pp's to oo's.

mocker

2009-03-10 19:39:04

I'm reviving this old thread since it - almost - answers to my need of a momentary switch. It works as expected except I must sometimes be able to "long press" before the second controller (00) is sent.
My incoming message is a program change.

florian

2009-03-12 15:19:36

Hi Mocker,

what do you mean with a long switch? That the second controller is sent a while after the first controller is sent, and not immediately?

You can do that with a timer, as a pseudo preset:

Code: Select all

1) Incoming: <program change>
  Outgoing: send controller 1

2) Incoming <program change> (same as in 1)
  Outgoing: start timer "delayed CC"

3) Incoming: Timer "delayed CC"
  Outgoing: send controller 2
Is that what you mean?

Note that this scheme will always delay the second controller. You said you want to sometimes have a "long press", and sometimes a momentary one. How do you distinguish when comes what?

Florian

mocker

2009-03-13 01:38:03

florian wrote:Hi Mocker,

what do you mean with a long switch? That the second controller is sent a while after the first controller is sent, and not immediately?

You can do that with a timer, as a pseudo preset:

1) Incoming: <program change>
  Outgoing: send controller 1

2) Incoming <program change> (same as in 1)
  Outgoing: start timer "delayed CC"

3) Incoming: Timer "delayed CC"
  Outgoing: send controller 2
Is that what you mean?

Note that this scheme will always delay the second controller. You said you want to sometimes have a "long press", and sometimes a momentary one. How do you distinguish when comes what?

Florian
Thanks Florian.
It could be when there have been 2 repeated presses (close to each other). So the normal momentary switch behaviour and the timer option only if I have pressed it 2 times fast. Hope it's clear (it's late :-) )
I have no idea how to add this kind of "if, then" condition to your rule…

florian

2009-03-13 22:10:19

Hi Mocker,

indeed, this is somewhat advanced. There is no "if time has elapsed" kind of rule, you need to do it the other way round:

when you press the first time, set variable "gf" to 0 (this is just an arbitrary variable for "flag") and start a one-shot timer of say 500 milliseconds. When that timer expires (after 500ms), it sets variable gf to 1.

Now when you press again, check for the value of gf: if it is 1, you know that at least 500ms have elapsed since the last press. If it's 0, you know it's a "double press".

So far for the theory... hope that makes more sense now.
If you specify in more detail which kind of press (program change) causes which kind of output message, I can assemble a stub preset for you.

Best,
Florian

mocker

2009-03-13 23:14:38

Thanks for the theory !
But since you're proposing to apply it for me, here I go :
My incoming message is a program change and the outgoing can be either a cc or a note. Let's choose a note.

As I said before I went this far :
Incoming : C0 01
Outgoing : B0 4F 7F B0 4F 00

Which actually acts like a momentary switch except for that double press we're discussing…

BTW thanks for being around when we need you :-)

mocker

2009-03-16 10:28:13

florian wrote: If you specify in more detail which kind of press (program change) causes which kind of output message, I can assemble a stub preset for you.

Best,
Florian
As soon as you have time, I'm ready for the preset, pc to note. Thanks.

florian

2009-03-17 11:38:39

OK, here is the preset:

Translator 1: Translator PC to CC
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI C0 01
Rules: only execute if flag not set
  if gf==1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: MIDI B0 4F 7F B0 4F 00 

Translator 2: Start timer
Incoming: MIDI C0 01
Rules: set flag gf
  gf=1
Outgoing: One-shot timer "PreventDoubles": 500 ms delay

Translator 3: Timer Expiration
Incoming: On timer "PreventDoubles"
Rules: reset flag gf
  gf=0
Outgoing: (none)

mocker

2009-03-17 23:14:59

Thanks a lot Florian. Will try it when I'm home at the end of this week (on tour with no midi footswitch, just a real wood instrument :-) ).

Just one question : what is 90 79 7F as incoming midi in the 2nd translator ? It looks like a note. Where is it coming from ?

florian

2009-03-18 00:02:34

oops, good catch!
The second translator should have the same incoming message. I've used that note message for "developing" the preset. I've fixed it directly above.

Florian

mocker

2009-03-18 11:52:49

Thanks, that's what I thought. I should trust myself more before asking… :-)

mocker

2009-03-25 15:17:54

It seems the preset as it is doesn't work : no double press and no continuous press.

mocker

2009-03-27 16:54:29

Florian when you have time… The preset doesn't work : I can't use neither double press or continuous press. Only the pc to note translator works.

florian

2009-04-08 09:29:07

Hi Mocker,

sorry for the late reply. I have actually tested the preset, it works here... Can you enable the log and check out what's happening?

Thanks,
Florian

mocker

2009-04-08 12:06:43

Hi Florian. Maybe it is because I ddin't use it as a preset but rebuild all the translators one by one by myself. Can you just remind me how to use a preset ? Do I have to use a text file and rename it ? Meanwhile I will try to find the info by myself in the manual of course…

florian

2009-04-09 22:39:21

Sorry, no, actually these clear text presets in the forum cannot be loaded directly into MT, you need to recreate them one by one.

The other way round works, though: select a number of translators and then copy them. Afterwards, you can paste them into any text editor, or forum message -- that's what I do.

Thanks,
Florian

mocker

2009-04-09 23:06:15

OK. Then, I did it, I mean selected the 3 translators I created one by one and compared to what you did : it looks the same. But it still doesn't work here. I use it to try to control Ableton Live 8's new looper. It has one big button that needs a momentary switch to be controlled. As I said before, using your preset I can't double press nor long press.

florian

2009-05-11 22:34:27

sorry for the very late reply here... have you checked out the log as to what's happening?

Florian

wksmith

2009-08-18 03:15:55

The art x15 to guitar rig preset worked fine for me except that the 2 cv pedals stopped working

is there a couple of translator entries that will let the cv pedals pass info through MT?

...or am I missing a setting somewhere?

florian

2009-09-07 22:55:30

Hi wksmith, sorry, I don't know the art x15... anybody else?
Florian

EmperorNeo

2011-07-07 00:07:34

Hi, i'm about 2 years to late for this conversation but i am having the same problems with my Art X-15 Ultrafoot. Its sending the wrong info in turns of effects on/off. I read this thread and see that a file was posted which resolved the problem but the file is no longer available. If there is anyone out there who fixed this problem and can help me out i'd surely appreciate it cause i desperately need to control my Guitar Rig effects. :(

florian

2011-07-10 14:24:53

Hi, the preset is included with Midi Translator:
You'll find it in the Presets folder: "Art X-15 Ultrafoot with Guitar Rig.bmtp"
Florian

EmperorNeo

2011-07-11 16:59:38

Florian, thanks for the reply. I went to Bome and installed the translater and indeed there was the X-15 preset just like you said it would be. Now here is my question. I have the Translater pro open on my screen, the X-15 preset is open and I have my Guitar Rig Pro open as well. I'm assuming i need to send the Translater Pro X-15 present information over to my Guitar Rig so that it knows what to do? Really i have no idea what should happen now that the Translater is open and the present values are all there. What is my next step?

EmperorNeo

2011-07-12 05:01:15

Let me revise my previous post. I worked with MT all day and got it working with my guitar rig 4. The only problem i can't seem to fix is that my expression pedals aren't working and the only thing i can think of is that in the Guitar Rig template MT only has 10 presets but X-15 has 2 more for expression pedals. It would appreciate it if someone could tell me how i could set that up because the expression pedals control wah wah (vitally important!) and delay vol. Please don't give up on me, Obi Wan I need your help! :)

EmperorNeo

2011-07-12 05:57:04

Please let me re-revise my 2 prior posts and I'll say happily....IT'S ALL FIXED, EVERYTHING WORKS 100% Another guitarist set free and loose on the world! :)

florian

2011-07-28 14:22:36

Hi EmperorNeo,

sorry for the late reply, but happy that it's fixed! Did you need to change the preset for that? Then would be great if you could send it to me...

Thanks,
Florian