Set up for ableton live

Guitarguruguy

2006-04-05 11:10:02

I just dont get it!

Using MT, Ground control pro with abelton live
also using a DIGI 002 as my ASIO driver.
I dont understand the steps necessary for abelton and midi translator to recognize a pedal switch as a keystroke.
Example is scene 1 is keyboard "o" to be triggered by pressing a switch on footpedal.
Can anyone help?

florian

2006-04-05 12:14:01

Hi,

in general the setup works like this:

1) MIDI
Connect the foot pedal to the MIDI IN of the soundcard/MIDI interface.
Select that MIDI interface/soundcard as MIDI IN in Midi Translator.

2) Translators
Now you're ready to set up the translators in MT: Create a new Translator, click on edit and there select MIDI as Incoming Action. Enable "Capture MIDI" and press a button on the foot pedal. You should see values appear oin the list. Use one of those values and disable Capture MIDI.
Now set up Outgoing Action: it should be "Keystroke", and enter, e.g. "Z". Hit "Apply". Now everytime you press the button on the pedal, a Z is typed on the computer keyboard. For testing, open a text processor (Word/OpenOffice/Notepad) and press the pedal button: a Z should appear in the text.

3) Ableton Live
I don't have Ableton Live yet, but as I understood you can define keys for specific actions. E.g. assign "Z" to "start recording". Now make sure that Ableton Live is the active application. When pressing the pedal button, Ableton should do whatever is defined for "Z".

4) Advanced
Now, the interesting part is that you can do several keystrokes at once. Instead of just Z, you can enter "Ctrl(C)ZYHA" executing one after another the actions for Ctrl+C, Z, Y, H, A.

Ableton is working on an online tutorial, and I'll publish a tutorial, too.

Hope that'll work!
Florian

Guitarguruguy

2006-04-22 23:02:19

It seems that I have a problem.
Midi translator is taking the signal from my midi in port on my Digi 002 therefore occupying it so that ableton can not use it. How can I get ableton to recognize the midi signal if this port is occupied?

Very Confused?

florian

2006-04-23 11:32:43

the current solution is some kind of daisy chaining: Midi Translator occupies the real MIDI port. Then install a virtual MIDI cable (e.g. MIDI Yoke) which you select as MIDI out in Midi Translator and as MIDI IN in Ableton. Make sure to have MIDI THRU enabled in MT's options menu.

See more to the concept of virtual MIDI ports in the Mouse Keyboard tutorials:
http://www.bome.com/midi/keyboard/help/

Florian