Ableton Knobs

Distant_Fragment

2007-03-22 13:09:06

hello all!
congratulations for an excellent software.

I have some problems achieving what i want so i thought i should ask. ;)

I have an X-Board 25 controller by Creative. I also use Ableton 6 and Midi Yoke.

what i want to do is separate knobs of the controller for ableton.

and i mean the following thing.

i want to have 2 functions for 1 knob so i can control more parameters in ableton.

does MT has the ability to do that?

and please explain how because i am kinda lost in all these variables. :P

thanks in advance.
Nick.

chris_dan

2007-03-22 23:37:09

I just replied to a similar request. See http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ef82b89981.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Chris

Distant_Fragment

2007-03-22 23:50:23

first of all thanks for the quick reply.

if i get this right you described how i can have more functions for a fader and then scroll through them.

what i want to do is similar but different.
i want to be able to control a filter for example when i turn the knob at its half position and when i go more than half controlling something else.

sorry i didnt make myself more clear in the first post.

:)

chris_dan

2007-03-23 01:05:24

Hi DF,

Yes, what you are asking can be easily accomplished with MTpro. However you mentioned that you have Live 6 which will also accomplish the task in a much more intuitive manner using the macro control function which is accessed in the Rack set-up macro key assign mode. Check out the Live Lessons and/or the Live manual for more information. Also, there are a number of tutorials in the Live User Forum under Help and Tips section. Either way it can be done........

Chris

Distant_Fragment

2007-03-23 01:34:00

thanks a lot my friend.

I'll check it out.

;)

chris_dan

2007-03-24 03:47:48

Distant_Fragment wrote:thanks a lot my friend.

I'll check it out.

;)

Hi DF,

If you need a hand to get started I'd be glad to help.

Chris

Distant_Fragment

2007-03-25 19:42:22

hey man....

thanks for all the help.
I've tried to make it work through the racks as you've told but i didnt make it and also didnt find anything on the lessons.

any ideas???

:P

thanks again.
Nick.

chris_dan

2007-03-25 21:25:01

Distant_Fragment wrote:hey man....

thanks for all the help.
I've tried to make it work through the racks as you've told but i didnt make it and also didnt find anything on the lessons.

any ideas???

:P

thanks again.
Nick.
Hi Nik,

First off, what OS are you running...Vista, XP or OSX? Can you describe your visualization of what you what to accomplish? Have you been able to establish reliable communication between your controller and Live?

Chris

Distant_Fragment

2007-03-26 18:22:32

i am using xp professional.
the controller works fine with Live.
what i am trying to achieve is the following.

for example i want to use a knob for two effects.
when i turn it from 0-64 it should control the first effect and from 65-127 the second effect.

does that sound possible? :P

chris_dan

2007-03-28 06:16:50

Distant_Fragment wrote:i am using xp professional.
the controller works fine with Live.
what i am trying to achieve is the following.

for example i want to use a knob for two effects.
when i turn it from 0-64 it should control the first effect and from 65-127 the second effect.

does that sound possible? :P
Hi Nick,

Here's one way of accomplishing the task:

[Project]
Version=1
[Preset.0]
Name=df_test
Active=1
Name0=encoder split <= 64
Incoming0=MID1B010pp
Outgoing0=MID1B01401
Options0=Actv01Stop00OutO00StMa00000002if(pp>=65)executenoexecute
Name1=encoder split >= 65
Incoming1=MID1B010pp
Outgoing1=MID1B0147f
Options1=Actv01Stop01OutO00StMa00000002if(pp<=64)executenoexecute

Copy the above into notepad and save it as a .bmtp file. Then open the newly created file in MT. The midi in/out has been set to none so you'll have to configure it to your own setup.

Bear in mind that whatever encoder you assign it to will only do the above task...that's it. You did not specify if the output simply turns an effect on or is the range from 0-64 required? When the above routine sees controller 10 (B0 0A) it outputs controller 14 (B0 20) with a value of 01 when turned one way and a value of 127 the other way. I have a more elaborate set of translators for Live which you are more that welcome to.

Let me know if you want the other set of presets for Live. I will forward them onto Florian and it's his call if he wants to post them on the forum.

Chris

Distant_Fragment

2007-03-28 18:09:12

I really appreciate all the help Chris. thanks a lot.

I'll spend some time with it tonight to see how it goes and I'll let you know.

;)

chris_dan

2007-03-29 06:04:12

Distant_Fragment wrote:I really appreciate all the help Chris. thanks a lot.

I'll spend some time with it tonight to see how it goes and I'll let you know.

;)
Roger that!

cd

Distant_Fragment

2007-03-30 18:26:48

the code doesnt seem to work unfortunatelly. :(

i tried saving in bmtp and then i loaded it in MT but during the load it encountered errors.

chris_dan

2007-03-31 03:12:37

Distant_Fragment wrote:the code doesnt seem to work unfortunatelly. :(

i tried saving in bmtp and then i loaded it in MT but during the load it encountered errors.
What version of Midi Translator do you own? I made the assumption that you have Midi Translator Pro based on your comments about variables and what not.

Chris

Distant_Fragment

2008-12-13 21:16:35

hello guys...

after quite a long time I started using Bomes pro again.

the problem I'm having is the same (controlling two effects with one knob) but this time I am half way there.

I've done the following...

I used two translators for one knob. each one translates on another knob from some other preset.

In the rules of each translator I've entered an if statement to control when the outgoing message is going to be executed. so now when I turn it half way it controls the first and then the second.

the problem is...

it only controls half knob of the outgoing. and its completely normal but I cant find a way to control all 127 values of the outgoing message with only the 64 of the incoming.

any ideas?

p.s glad to be back. the software is amazing once you get used to it.

Distant_Fragment

2008-12-14 14:29:56

hello again.

for anyone interested.
I just found a way to do it.

I've added some rules in the first half(0-63) that multiply the pp value with 2.
And in the second half (64-127) I've added some rules that check the pp value. If it is less than 64 then pp=64 (you have to do that to avoid a problem with the values on the knob) and after that I've included the following.
if pp>=64
pp=pp-64
pp=pp*2

if someone wants to try it out and encounters any problems I would be glad to help.

there is only one problem at this time.
It occurs only during the midi assignment process and I think its because two translators are working for one knob.

but other than that it works great.

DF.