Serato Scratch LIVE

rishi

2006-02-16 04:24:43

Hi, anybody using Midi Translator with Serato Scratch LIVE ?

Very excited about the possibilities of this little program

rishi

2006-02-17 05:34:33

Ok, so I made my first midi translator keystroke work with Serato.

Would someone be kind enough to direct me to a thread or explain how I change toggle options or note on / note off.

Do I do that in MT or do I do that in my midi device? I have an M-Audio Ozonic keyboard.

Currently the keystroke only takes effect whilst I hold the midi button down. I want to be able to press on and press off rather than hold for on and release for off.

I havent been able to find something to assist with my noobian understanding of midi. Thanks

rishi

2006-02-17 13:52:12

So. I am making progress.

Have been able to map the start, stop, cue functions.

Having problems being able to emulate pitch bend. In order to work I need to be able to emulate a keystroke being held down, sending a continuouse message until released.

However, nothing seems to register in Serato.

Cant seem to get it to work? Any suggestions?

rishi

2006-02-17 23:51:06

So. I am making progress.

Have been able to map the start, stop, cue functions.

Having problems being able to emulate pitch bend. In order to work I need to be able to emulate a keystroke being held down, sending a continuouse message until released.

However, nothing seems to register in Serato.

Cant seem to get it to work? Any suggestions?

djfobbz

2006-02-18 08:32:51

I have an M-Audio Radium 49 and I just wanted to map 10 of the keyboards keys for performing CUE POINT functions in Scratch Live. Currently everytime I press a key it outputs two keystrokes...i.e. middle C is set to play CUE POINT 1...whenever I hit it, it seems to play it stutter...meaning it starts the cue once the note turns on and then once the note turns off!!! how do I fix this issue?

rishi

2006-02-19 01:06:40

djfobbz wrote:I have an M-Audio Radium 49 and I just wanted to map 10 of the keyboards keys for performing CUE POINT functions in Scratch Live. Currently everytime I press a key it outputs two keystrokes...i.e. middle C is set to play CUE POINT 1...whenever I hit it, it seems to play it stutter...meaning it starts the cue once the note turns on and then once the note turns off!!! how do I fix this issue?
djfobbz, Here's what I think you need to do.

When you capture the midi note it will appear as 90 30 oo. Change the last two characters from oo to 00.

I have been able to work out most functions. However, I still cant work out how to produce a midi message which replicates holding a keystroke down, producing a string the same character whilst it's held down and which stops producing when released. ie: same as holding 'e' down and producing 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'

Florian, please come to my rescue!!!!

florian

2006-02-20 09:12:27

Hi Rishi,

the current version does not allow this. The development version of "Midi Translator Pro" has a timer feature which can be used to create repeating keystrokes.

Currently, I don't have a publicly available Pro version available. So the only way to get it is by purchasing Midi Translator for EUR 29,-- and then requesting a 30-day test version of the MT "Pro" from me.

Regards,
Florian

rishi

2006-02-20 09:47:37

Florian, I think your program is excellent and definitely worth EUR29, especially IF it makes my idea work and it sounds like it may do.

So, before I go ahead some questions if I may:
1) What happens to my pro version after 30 days?
2) Will it replicate (press & hold of a keystroke). That is do the following.

Press midi button and hold to release continuous stream of keystoke
Release midi button to cease stream of keystroke.

In Serato to temporarily speed up a song, a key can be pressed and held. Once the song has sped up sufficiently the key is released. Pressing the same key lots of times doesnt have the same effect. The key has to held down.

florian

2006-02-20 10:07:33

ah, that is a different issue. The timer feature will only allow sending repeated KeyDown+KeyUp messages to the application.

After 30 days, the test version expires, but you can request a new one. All this is the extended support for users who have purchased MT. You can unlock the test version for another 29,--. When the final version of Midi Translator Pro is released (probably a higher price than 29+29) you can update for the difference, or less.

Also, feature requests by licensed users are given high priority, I should be able to implement your "repeated key" feature quite quickly. And, for completeness: for very urgent matters, I offer a payed rush service, where I guarantee an implementation of the requested feature in a specified time frame (usually up to a week).

Hope that makes sense!
Florian

rishi

2006-02-20 11:16:07

Wow, great service!

So EUR58 gets me an unlocked test version, with "quite quick" feature implementation.

The payed rush service is probably going to be out of my budget however, I'd be interested to know what the cost would be.

You can PM the details to me if you like.

florian

2006-02-20 11:22:02

In this case, the rush service would be EUR 100,-- for delivery after a week. This would include an initial sanity test, if it can be implemented at all the way I imagine.

Florian

rishi

2006-02-20 12:15:20

Florian,

Thanks for all the prompt responses.

So, to clarify is it:
license 58 + rush sevice 100 = 158 or
EUR100 total including rush service and license?

I am very interested. There is a lot of talk about midi for Serato. It's major competitor has it, whilst loyal Serato users dont.

florian

2006-02-20 13:48:56

it's 100,-- the full package. It'll also be credited towards a MT Pro license. Also note that the development is non-exclusive, i.e. it'll be available in MT Pro from then on.

Florian

rishi

2006-02-20 22:37:13

Excellent. Ok let's do it. What happens from here?

Can we name the feature "Rishi's Rapid Repeat feature"? :lol:

I'll let the lads on the Serato forum know the good news.

florian

2006-02-20 22:50:52

Hi Rishi,

awesome! please go to http://www.bome.com/pay/?amount=100 in order to pay with credit card or paypal.

Rishi's Rapid Repeat feature sounds good to me 8)

I'll send you an alpha test version soon after that.

Thanks!
Florian

rishi

2006-02-20 23:10:48

Ok. All done!

florian

2006-02-20 23:20:18

thanks, I got it and I'll get to work!
Florian

rishi

2006-03-01 22:17:32

For closure on this thread, I have just tested a Beta version of the functionality and am very pleased to say it works like a dream.

I thoroughly recommend this solution for Serato users looking to develop midi capability.

Look out for Rishi's Rapid Repeat Feature in the forthcoming version of MT.

Florian - You are a genius!!

rishi

2006-03-13 03:41:03

Last Saturday I used SSL with Bome's MT live for the first time. It worked flawlessly for more than 6 hours.

I controlled Cue, Play, Pitch Bend and Pitch adjust using my Ozonic keyboard and MT to convert to SSL shortcuts.

I absolutely recommend this as an option for Serato users if this is what you are looking for.

florian

2006-03-13 14:25:06

Hi rishi,

that's fantastic! I'm happy it worked so fine.

Florian

zippy

2006-05-03 18:50:38

I'm very interested in trying the version which was custom developed for Rishi as I also use Searto Scratch Live and have just purchased a DJM-800 with midi capabilities.

I have no problem in paying the 29 Euro for the licence fee but I would much prefer to try the “pitch bend” feature for myself before committing to this software.

Is there any way I can get a demo version with this feature included??

Many thanks
Matthew

florian

2006-05-04 20:51:57

Hi Matthew,

I hope you understand the difficulties that I'd face if I would indeed send pre-release versions to anyone who asks for it. I'd spend all my time sending out those versions, rather than doing actual programming :)

I do plan to include Rishi's Rapid Repeat Feature (i.e. the pitch bend feature -- I've never tried it myself) in the publicly available version. It'll take at least a month, I guess, for the next version though.

Also see http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=178 .

On the other hand, if you buy MT and you're not satisfied with it, I am sure that I can improve it so that it fulfills your needs. Just as I did with Rishi :)

Regards,
Florian

zippy

2006-05-04 21:28:46

Hi Florian,

I can understand about getting a pre-release verion.

This is basically what I want your software to do-

Use the faders of the midi hardware to control the pitch in Searto Scratch Live. I.E when the fader is in the middle, the pitch in SSL is at zero, when I slide the fader up it will transmit the necessary midi signals, translated by Bome this will increase the pitch in SSL. Very much emulating the pitch slide on a real deck. The way SSL does this from a keyboard is- holding - 'E' to bring the pitch down and 'R' to move the pitch up.

I've tried everything to make this happen using the demo version 1.4 but to no avail. Bome is picking up the midi signals OK but SSL is having problems actual doing anything with translated keystrokes.

I've no problem spending the 29Euro if this can be done using Rishi's Rapid Repeat Feature (or if you can implment after at no futher charge). I'm just not sure how it will work with the fader.

I'll purchase now if so

Thanks for your help
Matthew

florian

2006-05-04 21:59:56

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Rishi's Rapid Feature is doing: you can press and hold keys with the new pre-release version. I can even send you Rishi's setup, so you don't need to tweak MT yourself :)

Regards,
Florian

PS: and yes, feature requests from licensed users have priority.

zippy

2006-05-04 22:06:20

Sounds good, how can I go about getting this and how long will it take?

Cheers
Matt

rishi

2006-05-05 09:30:24

Zippy,

RE: BUTTONS vs FADERs

I am using Bome's MT with Serato for pitch bend and pitch adjust. I have set up Translators for my Ozonic Keyboard and now I use it with the new Behringer BCD2000. Both of which work well and very reliably.

I noted from your post that you want midi faders to control the pitch. Currently, I have only managed to get buttons to adjust pitch.

I too, am interested in using faders to do this, however, I dont know how or if it is possible in my version of the program. See my Thread Serato and the BCD2000.