Inverted MIDI keyboard layout

Tiitu

2006-01-15 19:07:55

Hi! I'm new to the bome forum.

I would like to invert my other midi keyboard for the left hand so that I would be able to play symmetrically with both hands.

Is this currently possible to accomplish? This is related to the editable keyboard Feature Request.

Secondly, do you know if there is a hardware midi box to do this without any latency? Would this electronics be very difficult to make? I have some experience on electronics design, maybe I could do it by myself. I don't know the midi signal specifications, however.

Cheers,
Tiitu.

florian

2006-01-16 07:30:24

Hi Tiitu,

I'm not sure I understand correctly. This is what I get:
You have this setup:

- 2 external MIDI keyboards
- both are connected to the computer

And you want to "flip" the keys on the left keyboard, so that, if you play from left to right, a scale down is sounding.

You can do this with Midi Translator in software with very little latency. However, currently you'll need to define one rule/"Translator" for every note. So you'll have many Translators, but once you have set up all Translators, there shouldn't be any problem with latency or so. For that, use the MIDI to MIDI conversion, e.g. these Translators:

90 30 pp -> 90 60 pp
90 31 pp -> 90 5F pp
90 32 pp -> 90 5E pp
90 33 pp -> 90 5D pp
and so on.

Regarding building this in hardware, yes, that's possible and shouldn't be hard though I don't have any experience in this field. The electrical specifications of the MIDI connection are detailed in the MIDI Specification 1.0, obtainable by http://www.midi.org

Florian

Tiitu

2006-01-16 10:59:50

Thank you very much Florian!

This is what I have been looking for. It is advantageous that both hands have the same fingering, espeicially, if you are using chromatic keyboards - but why not with piano keyboards, too.

Best Regards,
Tiitu.

florian

2006-01-16 11:05:39

Yes, this would be possible with Mouse keyboard once the feature is added to freely edit the keyboard mapping. But Mouse Keyboard is not meant as a MIDI filter, that's what MIDI Translator can do best.

Florian