New to MTP: Connecting iPad, Macbook and MIDI Controller together

kudabux

2017-01-09 21:15:43

I was wondering if someone could help me get started in the right direction. I've been experimenting with connecting different things together to teach myself some of the in's and out's of the routing process.

One (seemingly) simple connection I was trying to make today, was to have both my Alesis v49 controller and my iPad mini connected to my Macbook, both via USB. I have some very cool synth apps on the iPad, one of which is the Spacelab app, that I would love to be able to control, via the Alesis controller.

I'm hoping to eventually move over to using a Bomebox, but wanted to get a grasp on connectivity before order the hardware. Any kind of insight or example of similar usage would be hugely helpful and I would be very grateful! I haven't found a ton of resources online to guide a newbie into using MPT, but I'm determined to figure it all out as it's the answer to all my routing issues and a great looking solution!

Thanks very much in advance!

florian

2017-01-30 23:39:36

Hi kudabux,
you've posted just when we had to leave for the NAMM show and DvlsAdvct unexpectedly also became (temporarily) unavailable. So sorry for the late reply.

Anyway, in principle all that is possible with MT Pro, and in the future also with just a BomeBox without the Mac. I believe the way it will work best is this:
- use MT Pro for the routing, merging, mapping and other MIDI processing you need to do
- use Apple network MIDI to create a virtual MIDI connection from Macbook to iPad

Currently, the BomeBox does not provide a way to send MIDI streams to an iPad, but we're working on an app for doing just that ("Bome Network"). The app available for macOS and Windows currently.

Hope that helps some!
Regards,
Florian