Relative CC to Reason patch delta

mgo2000

2017-01-03 16:29:46

Hi, I am trying to send incremental CC values from BMT to Propellerhead Reason, to trigger the "Select patch for target device (delta)" override. I am not able to get this event to fire at all, and wonder if anyone can tell me what midi message I should send for this?

I have read that the message should have the format "b? 50 <???y>x", could someone give me an example of exactly how this message should look?

Thanks
Morten

DvlsAdvct

2017-01-05 15:52:31

Hi Morten

That is the hexadecimal format for a CC message (meaning a knob). The first character B indicates it's a CC message, the ? should be the channel (0-F for 1-16), 50 is the message number in Hex, and <???y>x is the position information (0-7F for 0-127). The final format would look like B0 50 7F to send CC 50 on channel 1 at the 127 position. Usually the last byte (7F in this example) will be replaced with a pp or some designator that it should respond to the whole range, not just an individual position.

Does that help?
Jared

mgo2000

2017-01-05 19:24:58

Thanks Jared, nice explanation. For some reason I can't get it to work in Reason :) I'm quite familiar with BMT and the use of variables, so that side of it is pretty much as expected. But even when mapping the select patch delta setting in Reason to a specific midi cc (like 50), it won't respond. I created a test translator in BMT to send all values from 00 through 7F on B0 50, and I can see the midi indicator in Reason lighting up, but no patch change.

Looks like this is becoming more of a Reason challenge than a BMT challenge. The BMT side of things is quite straight forward. If any Reason users in here have successfully mapped midi to patch change delta (likely using a custom codec and map), I'd be happy to hear from you. I've posted the question in the Remote Developer forum over on Propellerheads too, so let's see.

Thanks again
Morten

DvlsAdvct

2017-01-05 19:57:16

Are there any MIDI resources for Reason that say what kind of MIDI message Reason is looking for? It might be looking for a program change or a note instead of a CC.

mgo2000

2017-01-05 20:00:28

Not that I can find. The midi implementation chart simply states that it expects a delta value, and the Remote Developer SDK docs state the same (although referring to the hex pattern in your previous post).

JacobiusWrex

2017-01-10 05:01:06

I could never figure this out myself. But I think if I remember correctly I came up with a weird workaround translating your desired "delta" knob into for example b0 50 7f clockwise turn (from one control surface) , and b0 50 7f counter clockwise turn, (from a second separate control surface) and then mapping each one respectively to the "select next track" and "select previous track" override mappings.

On the codec side of the equation it's true that all the "other devices" (except the keyboard with no controls) available in their MIDI Control surfaces options, include the ability to send the simple CC messages they say to send... but they just don't work wiith the "delta" knobs. I may be wrong but I have a feeling it's not a problem with the MIDI messages being sent but something on the Reason side.