How to make apc mini work as midi controller?

thedabmob

2017-01-03 03:38:00

Hello guys ! I am newbie and I got akai apc mini as a X-mas present and it's awesome ! At this pint I ve learned it's basics with the help of ableton live 9 lite ! I ve done some research and I have figured out that it can be used as a Midi controller and that's exactly what I want. But the problem is that it has the be programed for that, by using bome. However I am completely new and I am willing to learn. I need some help and explainetions. I recently found and read a topic in which people were discussing how they done the stuff, but I would like to ask if some one could explain me how can i do it step by step. My point is simple I want to use it like launchpad and make the buttons light like launchpad.
Pls don't tell me stuff like "sell your apc mini and buy launchpad" its not that simple! I can't do that, it's a present form very a special person!!! Further more I really like it and I feel that it can be made to work in the way I want!
THANK YOU!
George

DvlsAdvct

2017-01-05 15:50:01

Hi George

No one here is going to tell you to sell it and buy something else. If they do they are objectively wrong. You have what you have and we will work with it.

Mapping something like this with Ableton can be a slog, though. I've done it a few times, and controlling the LEDs using MIDI is doable, just complicated, depending on what you want it to do.

So, that's the first question. How do you want to use the APC Mini with Ableton?

Jared

thedabmob

2017-01-05 16:52:33

Hello Jared!
Thanks for the reply! Here is the answer: I want to use Ableton in that way: https://youtu.be/SAXpBgkXt60
Just making light shows and covering songs in the way Nev does it.

thedabmob

2017-01-06 02:34:02

Or to be more specific I want to do performance exactly like that: https://youtu.be/wNwZXXTjhco
Do you think it's possible? I terms of logics apc mini is the mini version of apc40, so I would be able to do the same right?

DvlsAdvct

2017-01-06 02:57:30

I've been doing a little research and I'm pretty sure that the APC Mini is integrated directly into Ableton. You shouldn't need to map it to do anything, really. The APC40 mappings for Ableton is usually whenever you want to deviate from the stock mapping, but most of the examples you've shown are just the direct integration between Ableton and the APC.

Jared

thedabmob

2017-01-06 17:21:40

So, you want to say that I can use it like the man from the vidio uses the apc40?
How can I use the apc like a launchpad?
Can I play drums on impulse in the apc mini?

George

DvlsAdvct

2017-01-06 18:26:06

Hi George

I don't know the specifics of the modes, but I'm trying to do some digging and see what I can find. If it can't, then doing what those devices do using MIDI is really complicated. It can be done, but it's just really challenging to set up correctly. You can kind of fake it by using individual sounds for each clip, and playing them that way. Also, try using a drum rack and seeing if you can enter device mode or something, which might make it work the way you want.

Jared

thedabmob

2017-01-06 21:26:18

Many thanks Jared!
I will be waiting for your reply!
George

florian

2017-01-30 07:04:31

Hi, have you checked out this topic:
APC40 flow8 Decks
The recommendation is to use mode 042.