Exclusion of MIDI Devices & Messages

ibanman555

2016-12-21 01:58:21

I am quite sure these topics have been discuss before but I would like to revive them a bit, as they could be useful to many other besides myself.

In the interest of troubleshooting is there any way to exclude midi devices from Midi Translator? I understand that the ports of any midi device can be closed, and if they are single client drivers, they can be used with other software. I am interested to see if there is a way to completely exclude a midi device/driver installed on a computer from Midi Translator, and if so would this be useful in any way?

Additionally, is there a way to exclude specific midi messages from the log window? With a large project, things often get cluttered and difficult to read. I would truly love this if it's an option!

sjcaldwell

2016-12-21 03:07:59

ibanman555 wrote:...
Additionally, is there a way to exclude specific midi messages from the log window? With a large project, things often get cluttered and difficult to read. I would truly love this if it's an option!
Amen to that one.

sjcaldwell

2016-12-21 20:09:35

I think you can exclude use of certain ports by not selecting them in the project file . Go to the top of the tree on the left where it shows your file name Look at project properties and select only the ports you want to control.

florian

2016-12-22 16:33:13

Hi,
the project MIDI ports are overridden by preset default ports, and possibly by translator port settings, so it wouldn't usually help much to uncheck them in project settings. Closing (double-click in any MIDI port list) will achieve the desired effect. But other than that, there is no way in MT to globally remove certain MIDI devices from MT.

One way to go is to only use MIDI port aliases (recommended anyway). Then you can reassign the aliases you want to temporarily disable to NONE and invoke "MIDI|Open Used Ports" in the menu. That'll close the port if it's not used anywhere in the project anymore. Reassigning the alias to an existing port will open it again.

But I hear you both, regarding MIDI message filtering in the Log Window. By MIDI port, and by MIDI message type...
Florian

sjcaldwell

2016-12-22 16:49:35

My work around for long log files with many irrelevant messages is to copy and past the text into an editor and then use search function
of the editor on the message of interest. You can also uncheck various presets and tranlators but you must remember to re-check them
when you are done. Also there could be side affects as it is possible that unchecking these could alter behaviour of your bug.

florian

2016-12-28 15:42:42

sjcaldwell: indeed, that's a good workaround. that's what I do, too :)