Restart Project with a external controller

sjcaldwell

2016-12-16 19:27:47

Is there a way you can trigger "Restart Bome Project File" from an external controller? I looked but couldn't find that option anywhere? I want to program a button on my Launchpad Mini to do an entire project restart. Suggestions?

CreepyPants

2016-12-17 00:59:37

I'm sure Florian or Jared will pipe up with the correct response, but until then...iPad or Android Tablet logged in to the BomeBox and hit [Restart Project]...?

Or is that too mundane? ;)

sjcaldwell

2016-12-17 01:06:51

CreepyPants wrote:I'm sure Florian or Jared will pipe up with the correct response, but until then...iPad or Android Tablet logged in to the BomeBox and hit [Restart Project]...?

Or is that too mundane? ;)
I got the Bomebox to eliminate the need for a connected computer.

CreepyPants

2016-12-17 01:13:33

Yeah. Me too.
But I'm allowing myself my tablet if/when i get into a live situation..."just in case". :)

florian

2016-12-19 10:27:11

Hi,
indeed, this is possible -- though not directly! Use the Execute File outgoing action, and enter the name of the current project file, with .bmtp extension. MT Pro detects the .bmtp extension and directly loads the given file. If you specify the current project file, it will be reloaded, and reset.

Note: if not using an absolute file path in the Execute File action, the path is relative to the current project file. So for reloading the same project file, you only need to specify the filename without any folder/directory/path.

Florian

sjcaldwell

2016-12-19 17:04:28

Thanks Florian!

I looked at the BMT manual and you had a great write up on how to set up a single startup preset and translator. And then a separate init preset with a set of translators to run on enable. Actually, I didn't need to restart the project itself but to do a new initialization of the project. I plan on using this but it is good to do you can do a complete project restart as well.

For others, there is an excellent write-up no page 83 of the latest BMT user manual. As my project grows, I'm going to spend more time enabling and disabling presets to keep the number of translators running to just what is needed. I'm not seeing any performance issues yet, however I want to stave them off before my programming practice gets me in trouble.

There are also many tips in the BMT manual around these lines.

I'm also starting to get a handle on how to do logic with AND, IF logic which is missing in BMT. As a few simple examples:

(hopefully I got them right)

IE if pp==2 AND qq==3 then oo=7 else oo=4

if pp==2 then oo= 4
if qq!= 3 then skip next rule
oo=7

IE if pp==2 OR qq==3 then oo=7 else oo=4

if pp==2 then oo=7
if qq==3 then skip next rule
oo=4

florian

2016-12-20 17:12:41

Hi, thanks for pointing to the user manual! indeed, using an Init preset is a good way, too. Just remember to also also set used global variables to 0 -- which is the default when (re)starting a project.

Regarding your AND and OR rules, quite clever, but they're not 100% equivalent (e.g. in the first case: if pp is not 2, the ELSE clause is not executed).

I'd probably rather use a more naive approach:

Code: Select all

//  if pp==2 AND qq==3 then oo=7 else oo=4
oo=4
if pp!=2 then skip next 2 rules
if qq!= 3 then skip next rule
oo=7

// if pp==2 OR qq==3 then oo=7 else oo=4
oo=4
if pp==2 then oo=7
if qq==3 then oo=7
I've added this to Tips For Better Translating #2 – Golden Rules.

Thanks,
Florian

sjcaldwell

2016-12-20 17:33:26

Thanks for the corrections and also posting in the tips? You are right and I really continue to struggle with this. Still a relatively new BMT user.

Looking forward to
a version of BMT with real AND and OR operators.