Reference: MTPro & Elektron Octatrack - Triggering Slices via MIDI

CreepyPants

2016-12-09 22:27:10

There seems to be plenty of discussion, questions, and misinformation on this topic.
I don't have a vast amount of experience on it, but here is my solution using MTPro (and part of the scripts I run on the BomeBox)

Situation:
Triggering individual audio sample slices on the Elektron Octratrack via external MIDI.
(In my case, pads on a Nektar Impact LX49)

Assumption:
You are using a MIDI controller (pads, keys, buttons, etc) that send MIDI Note On data where each MIDI note is sequential. (Pad #1 = MIDI Note x, Pad #2 = MIDI Note x+1, Pad #3 = MIDI Note x+2, etc)

Prepare your slices on the OT.
Note your OT Auto Channel.
On your MIDI hardware, determine which channel is being sent & what your base Note # is.

Load the script below. There are two Translators: one to select the Slice, the second to play the slice. There is a 60ms delay between the two because "Elektron". Edit the scripts as follows:

- On [Select Slice], in the top portion, set qq to be the lowest MIDI Note # your pads send. (In my case, mine is set to "0" because I've edited the LX49 to send MIDI Notes 0-8 for the first Pad Map)
- On [Select Slice], in the top portion, set rr to your OT Auto Channel
- On [Play Slice], in the top portion, set oo to the AUDIO TRACK (1-8) where your slices are.
- On [Play Slice], in the top portion, set rr to your OT Auto Channel
- EDIT the incoming Channel to recognize your systems incoming MIDI Channel (on my system, I have MIDI Channel 5 coming from the Pads to be re-routed to OT Slice Playing)

Enjoy!

Code: Select all

[x] Translator 0.0: Select Slice
Options: swallow
Incoming: Note On on ch. 5 set 'oo' to note with any velocity, on port INPUT
Rules:
  // SLICE SELECT SETUP:
  // Assuming all pads are sequential note numbers, set qq to be the lowest MIDI note number of the pads
  // Set rr = Octatrack Auto Channel
  qq=0
  rr=9
  //
  // -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  oo=oo-qq
  pp=oo*2
  rr=175+rr

Outgoing: MIDI rr 11 pp, to port OUTPUT

[x] Translator 0.1: Play Slice
Options: swallow
Incoming: Note On on ch. 5 with any note and any velocity, on port INPUT
Rules:
  // PLAY SLICE SETUP:
  // oo is what OT Audio Track number your slices are
  // rr is Octatrack MIDI Auto Channel
  oo=8
  rr=9
  //
  // ----------------------------------------------------------------------
  pp=oo+35
  rr=143+rr
Outgoing: MIDI rr pp 7F, to port OUTPUT, delay:60 millisec

CreepyPants

2016-12-09 22:43:25

Note: Crossposted on Elektronauts (somewhere) and the "Elektron Octatrack" user group on FB.

florian

2016-12-12 00:14:24

Hi CreepyPants,
thanks a lot for sharing! I'm sure users will find this topic if in need.
Florian