on-the-fly macro control mapping

godelbrot

2016-12-08 18:56:54

Hi there, I am contemplating purchase but I need to be sure it can do what I want.

Basically I want to have a "Power Knob" and a "Power Button" that I can map macro controls to on the fly both on my hardware synths and for internal ableton audio effects.

The idea is that I can have two launchpads, one for analog (knob controlled) parameters, and one for button triggers. If let's say I want to be able to do a build up, I want to be able to select my moog's filter cutoff, my minilogues filter envelope decay and noise source, the volume of the snare on my tr8, and the delay amount on my VolcaFM, all just by touching buttons on the launchpad. These parameters are all then immediately mapped to my "Power knob", and I can control them all in a giant sweep without having 8 arms. I can then have a clear button that erases all these mappings and I can build up another.

The same goes for buttons. If, after my buildup, I want to have a drop where a particular sample is triggered, my TB-3 volume is unmuted, and the kick drum on my tr8 is also unmuted, I just select those parameters on the other launchpad and they are immediately mapped to my "power button" so I can trigger these all at the same time without being an octopus.

It's essentially live midi-mapping as a performance tool.

Is such a thing possible in this software?

Thanks

CreepyPants

2016-12-09 14:46:12

Saw your post - I don't have the definitive answer.

I imagine you can do this given that specific scenarios/control mappings for individual items are set up beforehand to be selected via the launchpad buttons.

It's similar to what I'm doing using the Elektron Octatrack and creating "MIDI Scenes" that are selected via the OT and the OT crossfader varying between MIDI CC values. (I'm using global variables to define MIDI CC#s and start/end values, the OT Scene Select and XFade to send the CC values - on the OT, I can select a Scene immediately (a 'jump' in MIDI CC values), or crossfade between two values)

Beyond my under-caffeinated ramblings, this sounds like an exciting task to automate.

Have you tried the trial version of MT?

If you can define your input/output in basic MIDI terms and flowchart it, you can test out smaller scenarios to see if you want to try the full version.

That is, if I may be so bold as to assume I understood everything you want to accomplish - if you were to break down to just one element, would you say:

- Pressing Launchpad button sends MIDI Note 60
- MIDI Note 60 tells MT that MIDI CC#23 will be modulated by the knob, which sends MIDI CC#30
- MIDI CC#23 is routed to filter cutoff on [synth]
- Upon turning the knob, sending a value for MIDI CC#30 to MT, MT will send those values (0-127) to MIDI CC#23 out to your synth(s)

If that scenario makes sense and/or is similar to what you want to accomplish, we have something in common

florian

2016-12-11 23:13:33

Hi godelbrot,
this is an awesome use case and it's definitely possible to do that. One relatively simple way is to put each mapping into a single preset, and use buttons to toggle presets on/off. Note that you can define one button to enable or disable multiple presets (mappings) at once, too. So for a first setup where each mapping is tied to one button, you probably don't even need the more global

So, as CreepyPants suggested, you can try this with the trial version of MT Pro. Just make sure to save your project file before you need to restart the trial version after 20 minutes. The user's manual may also help you getting started... and then we're always here, on the forum!
Florian