Catastrophic crashes of BMT on Windows and OSx

Kulu Orr

2016-11-30 10:02:40

Hi

Prepare you handkerchiefs for my heart breaking story... see if you can make anything of it as I am at the end of my wits.

Over the last couple of months BMT would occasionally freeze during shows (on PC). BMT is central to the show as it is controlling various hardware and software via 6 virtual MIDI ports and several other non-virtual ports.
The freezes were so bad that even Alt-Ctrl-Del would not help: BMT would not quit even after several presses of "End Task" and a hard boot was required. Needless to say that was quite disastrous audience-wise, as it would take 5 frenetic minutes of awkward silence and darkness on stage before everything was set up again and the show could continue.

So I decided to put in the money and time to port to Mac, hoping it would be a more stable platform. So I put in several weeks of intensive porting work and a small mountain of cash, and last night I was finally ready to test the system. And 10 minutes later BMT crashed very badly.
I changed somethings in a translator, then as I hit "save" BMT just disappeared and instead of it I got a crash report window (attached).
BMT also refused to reopen: It did not appear in the list of active programs (command+option+escape) so I couldn't "Force Quit" it, but double clicking it produced no results - as if I didn't click it at all. Now I regret not having checked if it's an active process from the Activity Monitor or Terminal, but I was quite distraught so I reverted to a hard boot, after which all worked.
So far I was unable to replicate this since yesterday, but should this happen in mid show - it's catastrophic.

Are you familiar with this issue?
Does the crash report shed any light on the matter or is it just a standard crash report?
Thank you for any help you might be able to give. I am painfully aware that crashes and bugs that are hard to replicate are even harder to fix.

Kulu
Attachments
BMT crash nov 30 2016.rtf
(91.47 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

Kulu Orr

2016-12-03 05:02:24

Update:
Just happened again, on a different MacBook and under a different OSx (last time was El Capitan, now Sierra): I was de-activating a translator, a different one than last time and in a different preset (in fact, the preset was not even active), while nothing else was happening on the computer (only NetBeans was open and no Midi devices were connected) and BMT just disappeared and a crash report appeared (attached, although it again appears to be a generic one).
Again it was impossible to re-open BMT. It didn't appear in the active applications list, and when I opened the activity monitor it did not appear there either under any of the active processes. Keeping one eye on the activity monitor while trying to re-open BMT, I was able to see it flash for half a second in the active processes list before disappearing without a trace.
Only a hard boot returned the status to normal and everything is working great now.
Any hints?
I guess it has to do somehow with the definitions in my BMT file, as everything else seems to have changed (operating system and hardware).
Attachments
BMT crash report Dec 3 2016.rtf
(253.02 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

florian

2016-12-03 12:28:32

Hi Kulu,
catastrophic, indeed. We know how important it is that MT Pro never crashes. My apologies.

I'd love to know what had happened on Windows, but that's probably very hard to find out, and we don't have other such reports. If you still have the Windows machine, it would be nice if you could try to locate any crash reports.

For your problem on OS X: thank you for the crash reports, they're very helpful. Indeed, it's a specific bug, the same one in both cases. The cause is quite ridiculous (compared to the effect): the bug occurs when saving the project file: MT Pro clears the "unsaved" indicator in the "traffic lights" of the window. For a reason unknown to me, in those specific cases, OS X errors out in the OS command to do that. As you know, saving usually is without problems. Anyway, that's easy to fix. I'll PM you.

For version 2, we're considering a "performance mode" which disables all such interaction, minimizing the chances for inadvertent changes to the project, and also, for GUI-releated crashes (although, as said, we do everything we can to prevent crashes in MT Pro!).

Thanks,
Florian

Kulu Orr

2016-12-09 14:30:42

I guess that's more of the same (report attached).
This time on different system and hardware (iMac instead of MacBook).
At least this time around BMT was willing to relaunch and I was not forced to reboot.
You mentioned it should be an "easy fix", is there a patch on the horizon?
Thanks!

P.S.
On a different note, and a different thread... On the new system the QLC+ still refuses to open BMT's virtual ports. Any word on that? Thanks
Attachments
BMT crash report dec 9th 2016.rtf
(228.53 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Kulu Orr

2016-12-09 22:18:58

BMT crash report #2 Dec 9 2016.rtf
(224.39 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
It's getting hard to work in this fashion...
Please let me know if a solution is in the works.
Thanks!

florian

2016-12-11 22:58:03

Hi Kulu,
indeed, we know where the crash is happening (i.e. when saving your project file). Please bear with us just a little longer... will PM you asap with a fix.
Thanks,
Florian

Kulu Orr

2016-12-12 19:19:07

In fact there's no rush - since you clarified that the crashes result from saving the project, I've been taking extra care not to save when any MIDI data is incoming or outgoing or when anything else might be happening, and indeed all is well and no crashes occurred.
I guess it was just my style of hitting "save" while I'm working that got me in trouble, now that you educated me to be a more relaxed and easy-going person, and do stuff one thing at a time, life is better ;-)

gburks

2016-12-15 02:03:48

In the meantime while waiting on a fix for this... can you tell me if there is a way to relaunch BMT Pro without having to reboot my Mac after a crash?

Like mentioned above, after a crash, if I attempt to relaunch, I can see the app icon appear for a second, then disappear again. The only way to relaunch the app is to reboot my Mac. Crashes are infrequent so if I could just figure out how to avoid a reboot I would be fine.

Kulu Orr

2016-12-15 06:46:43

I don't know why but for some reason the phenomenon you (and I) described disappeared after the first few crashes. Now I can relaunch BMT without trouble after a crash.
Maybe it has to do with the changes I made in my working style: I used to hit "Save" while concurrently working on stuff, but since realizing that the crashes were (apparently) connected to the saving procedure, I am now saving my projects only when there is no action going on - no Midi signal incoming or outgoing, and no keypresses or mouse movements or clicks. Since I started this pausing-while-saving routine crashes were dramatically reduced (3 in a week compared to several times a day) and they were all re-launchable.
I don't know if that's just Voodoo or maybe coincidence but these are my 2 cents...
In the meantime Florian sent me a beta version with more checks on the saving process, to try and see if it helps. I'll try today to return to my old evil ways of saving-while-working and see how BMT handles that - first the previous version then he new one.
I'll post here if there are any conclusive results one way or another.