Vestax VCM-600 with Remotify.io

florian

2016-11-18 11:35:07

A user asked:

I have kind of a unique situation. I am trying to build a new script for my Vestax VCM-600 using Remotify.io. The problem is the controller outputs the same numbers on different MIDI channels (ex. fader 1 MIDI channel 1 and fader 2 MIDI channel 2 both = cc#69) and this causes error messages in Remotify. I need to change CC values in order to avoid repeated numbers on multiple midi channels in order to create this script.

The question is with MIDI Translator will I be able to simply change numbers around and if so will it interfere with my other MIDI controllers or my new Remotify script? Also, is this a function that will require Pro version of Bome MIDI Translator?

florian

2016-11-18 11:56:40

Hi, this can certainly be done with both MT Pro and with MT Classic. With MT Classic, though, it's quite cumbersome because you need to set up each channel on its own. Also, in MT Classic, you need to use hex codes instead of selecting the respective MIDI message directly. Therefore, I recommend to use MT Pro. It'll also allow you to further tweak the behavior in future.

In the following MT Pro project, I take incoming control change CC#69 messages on any channel, remembering the channel in a variable pp. We also remember the CC value in the variable qq.
Then, calculate the new CC# based on 69 plus the remembered channel number, and store it again in the local variable pp. Last, output a control change message on channel 1, with the calculated CC#, and the unchanged value qq.

The general setup is the same as for most setups where MT Pro is used as a filter in between a MIDI device and software (or other MIDI device): In MT Pro, create MIDI Routes from the MIDI Port of the controller to "Bome Virtual Port 1", and the cross route for the return path: "Bome Virtual Port 1" --> controller. In Remotify.io, do not select the VCM-600! Instead, use "Bome MIDI Translator Pro 1" for MIDI IN and OUT. Then, everything should behave as before, except that the control change messages are mapped channel to CC#.

Code: Select all

Project:
  MIDI Route: VCM-600 --> Bome Virtual Port 1
  MIDI Route: Bome Virtual Port 1 --> VCM-600

Preset 0: From VCM-600 to application
 Default MIDI IN ports:   VCM-600
 Default MIDI OUT ports:  Bome Virtual Port 1

Translator 0.0: Map Channels to CC#
  Incoming:
    Control Change set 'pp' to ch. with CC#:69 (0x45) set 'qq' to value
    [x] swallow MIDI message
  Rules:
    pp=69+pp
  Outgoing:
    Control Change on ch. 1 with CC#:pp and value:qq
Please let us know how it works!
Florian
Attachments
Vestax VCM-600 with Remotify_io.bmtp
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

shanebieda

2016-11-18 13:54:00

Thank you florian! Big help. I can't wait to get started on this. I've been wanting to update this pesky 'ol control ever since I got it. It's so fun, I seriously recommend it. I'll add anything else that might come up. :P

shanebieda

2016-12-15 17:04:03

So which part in this project am I actually suppose to go in and change the number? I'm not quite sure what you mean here, "Then, calculate the new CC# based on 69 plus the remembered channel number, and store it again in the local variable pp."

For example the captured midi faders are CC#:23 (0X17)
so each channel the fader needs to be a different number.

florian

2016-12-19 09:27:32

Hi,
the project file attached to my previous post does the calculation: in the Rules section of the translator entry: "pp=69+pp". On incoming, pp is set to the channel. Then to pp (i.e. the channel) the number 69 is added. In the Outgoing action, pp is now used as controller number.

I believe closely inspecting the Translator Entry "Map Channels to CC#" will get you going.

Use MT Pro's Log Window to watch MT work.

If it does not work, be sure to include a snippet from the Log Window so that we can see what is happening (and what not).

Thanks,
Florian

shanebieda

2016-12-19 21:29:48

Oh I didn't realize it spit out values automatically. I thought I had to make up values for every control. So is the number 69 just a random number? Won't it go over 127? I'll try using this project in Remotify once their website comes back up.

florian

2016-12-21 22:10:43

Yes, this is for converting CC#69 on various channels to different CC#'s all on channel 1.
CC#69 Channel 1 ---> CC#69 Channel 1
CC#69 Channel 2 ---> CC#70 Channel 1
CC#69 Channel 3 ---> CC#71 Channel 1
etc.

If you change the rule to
pp=10+pp

Then you'll get:
CC#69 Channel 1 ---> CC#10 Channel 1
CC#69 Channel 2 ---> CC#11 Channel 1
CC#69 Channel 3 ---> CC#12 Channel 1
etc.

Hope that makes sense!
Florian

shanebieda

2016-12-21 23:20:32

Oh ok! Thank you for explain to dumby man haha! :lol::lol:

shanebieda

2016-12-21 23:32:48

So, I have Bome running and routed like you said and it doesn't seem to be registering the translation.

This is what it reads when I press the play button on channel 2.
Attachments
remotify.png
remotify.png (20.04 KiB) Viewed 6975 times

florian

2016-12-28 16:08:46

Can you please post the content of MIDI Translator's Log Window, with ALL OPTIONS in the Log Window checked, when pressing the play button on channel 2?
Thanks,
Florian

shanebieda

2016-12-28 18:17:37

Ok next week when I'm back home.

shanebieda

2017-01-04 01:37:18

I cropped in several screen shots to show you the whole of what's going on.

This is your project with the routings you described. I think the midi type whether it be note or cc might be the culprit because when it reads in Remotify it says cc# 69 is a note message not a cc message. Maybe the Bome options need to be changed accordingly? Just my guess.

Thanks!!!!
Attachments
Bome.png
Bome.png (318.34 KiB) Viewed 6865 times

shanebieda

2017-01-04 01:43:20

sorry not sure why the screen shot transparency got muddied. Just save the png and you'll be able to read it.

shanebieda

2017-01-09 11:32:47

Here's the Log Window with all options checked when pressing cc 69 on channel 2. This is one press (down/release).

283029 - MIDI IN [VCM-600]: 91 45 7F
283029 - MIDI OUT [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out]: 91 45 7F
283205 - MIDI IN [VCM-600]: 91 45 00
283205 - MIDI OUT [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out]: 91 45 00

florian

2017-01-15 03:05:41

Hi, we're getting somewhere... the play button does not send Controller 69, but a NOTE ON 69 (followed by Note Off).

So your translators should be this:

Translator 0: Map Note On from channel to note number
INCOMING: MIDI Note On
  [x] swallow
    any channel, set pp to channel
    Note 69
    any velocity, set qq to velocity.

Rules:
    pp=69+pp

OUTGOING: MIDI Note On
    channel 1
    Note pp
    velocity qq

Translator 1: Map Note Off from channel to note number
INCOMING: MIDI Note Off
  [x] swallow
    Note 69

Rules:
    pp=69+pp

OUTGOING: MIDI Note Off
    channel 1
    Note pp
    velocity qq
Hope that helps! Of course, you can also convert the Note On message to a control change message:

Translator 0: Map Note On from channel to CC#
INCOMING: MIDI Note On
  [x] swallow
    Note 69

Rules:
    pp=69+pp

OUTGOING: MIDI Control Change
    channel 1
    CC# pp
    value qq

Translator 1: Swallow Note Off
INCOMING: MIDI Note Off
  [x] swallow
    any channel
    Note 69
    any velocity

OUTGOING: None
Hope that makes sense!
Florian

florian

2017-01-31 00:31:07

any success with this?

shanebieda

2017-02-06 00:37:42

florian wrote:any success with this?
Yes and no. I got it to work, but I was getting this weird feedback response. After I pressed the button it wouldn't let me stop, as if it kept on pressing itself. This only occurred on channel 1 though. The other play buttons worked fine.