Problem with Midi Translator and In-Game Bindings

skaptimusprime

2007-02-13 05:00:07

Hi, I'm new to this program and excuse my ignorance if there actually is a simple solution to this...but, a couple of days ago, I started playing a beta for Lord of the Rings Online, which conveniently has a feature that lets you use your [computer] keyboard to play music in-game.

I figured this would be the perfect chance to try out this program and generate those keystrokes with my MIDI keyboard, and trying it out with AIM, Notepad, and even the in-game chat seems to suggest that these keystrokes are being correctly triggered. However, when trying to use this system to play music in-game (using 1-8, shift, and ctrl), the game failed to recognize any of the keystrokes. I tried going into the in-game control set up to bind each key manually, but the game recognized the keystroke this program generated as something foreign, I assume, because the label for the key pressed was simply blank. The game correctly played that note when I played it on the keyboard, but upon binding a second note, both notes played on the keyboard generated the same note in-game, suggesting they're generating the same keystroke.

I realize how confusing that my sound, but I was wondering if anyone knows a solution?

The way I have Midi Translator set is as follows:

Note On: C4, velocity 127, channel 1 : 1 X
Note On: D4, velocity 127, channel 1 : 2 X
etc.

Thanks in advance.

florian

2007-02-20 11:29:43

Hi,

indeed, there are applications that use a separate way to receive the keystrokes from the user (e.g. DirectInput). That way they will not recognize the emulated keystrokes from Midi Translator.

A future version of MT will feature a keyboard driver which will feature a much better keyboard emulation. If you don't mind, I can sign you up for beta testing this feature.

Thanks,
Florian

buncan

2007-03-14 19:06:08

hi,
i got exactly the same problem.
if possible, please add me to your beta list :)
but till then, maybe someone knows a temporary workaround?
some kind of 3rd party app that translates MTs (non directinput) keypressings to directinput ones?
if someone knows a solution, please let me know :)

best regeards
buncan

florian

2007-03-20 20:23:36

Hi Buncan, I've added you to the beta test list for this feature.

Regards,
Florian

buncan

2007-03-20 21:14:21

ui fein!
thanx florian :)

best regards
bunc

stimpy77

2007-04-03 04:07:37

Hi! I downloaded this software for the same reason. I, too, would like to join the beta for this feature. Thanks a bunch in advance!!

florian

2007-04-03 08:42:00

sure, you're in.
Florian

Jameth

2007-04-24 01:16:11

hehe I think you may be bombarded by requests for this ability soon!

I too play LOTRO and would absolutly LOVE to use this functionality.

Please allow me access to the version with direct input!

Thankyou!

james

cadmonkey

2007-05-04 00:22:17

me too please :)

skwhatever

2007-07-25 16:24:52

has anyone been able to get this to work with powerpoint. I want to use midi pads to trigger imagae sequences from powerpoint.

So for example when middle c is triggered by pad 1 the keyboard command 1 enter is sent to powerpoint. Is this possible if so please can someone tell me how.

many thanks

florian

2007-07-26 12:22:56

skwhatever: I've created a new thread for this (it's somewhat off topic here).

Check out:
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3594
(you can watch the new topic for replies with the link at the bottom if you're logged in)

Florian

skwhatever

2007-07-26 15:17:38

many thanks for this. will be getting pads shortly so will let you know how it works

Craig

donny

2007-11-16 01:46:44

Please add me to the beta list :)

Dismay

2008-01-30 17:43:48

Any update on Direct Input implementation? I would love to use my midi sustain pedals in games like Battlefield 2142 and ET:Quake Wars to control Sprint and Jump. There is one gaming footpedal out on the market, but it would be nice to use what I already have. Thanks!

JD

florian

2008-02-01 11:15:38

sorry, no updates yet... will let you know.

Regards,
Florian

Carlos

2008-02-11 08:38:44

Hi Florian,

I've had the same experience ("Direct Input"), with "Rhythm Tutor". But somewhat confusing to me, in the "Options" drop down, MIDI is one of the choices along with Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. I select my Drum Machine as the MIDI choice. A message appears saying that it can't open the MIDI device. Some other program may be using the MIDI. I don't have any other programs that use MIDI.

Essentially, Rhythm Tutor responds to my computer keyboard but not my MIDI Device, (Drum Machine). I have been using MT. MT does convert MIDI Messages to Emulated Keystrokes.... I can see all the lights light up in the system tray, and also by using notepad, I can see the messages. Sounds like "Direct Input" feature of Windows is my problem also.

So please put me on the list to receive the fix.
Thanks a lot, Carlos

florian

2008-02-11 09:42:42

yes, this seems to be the same problem. I've added you to the beta test list.

Regards,
Florian

Carlos

2008-04-03 07:00:37

Hi Florian,

Any luck with the MT Beta Version with "DirectInput", yet?
Good Luck.

Regards, Carlos

florian

2008-04-04 10:47:28

the code is still not integrated yet. It'll be the next feature to be added to the beta version.

Florian

Carlos

2008-09-29 18:49:00

florian wrote:the code is still not integrated yet. It'll be the next feature to be added to the beta version.

Florian
Hi Florian
If the code is not yet finished for the "Problem with Midi Translator and In-Game Bindings", I guess I will have to request a "Rush Service" for this.
To recap; I have been using this "Music Rhythm Tutor" educational
software which only accepts computer keystrokes as input to the program.
I was trying to use "MT" to translate my MIDI messages to emulated keystrokes. All this works fine, except that I think the program uses
Microsoft's "Direct Input" to receive the computer keystrokes. So
the program "Music Rhythm Tutor" never sees the "emulated keystrokes".
So, I'm willing to pay for the extra service "plug in" that will enable me to
use my MIDI drum machine with this software program instead of the
computer keyboard.
Let me know how to arrange the details for this to happen.
Thank You, Carlos

florian

2008-10-20 16:00:04

Hi Carlos,

sorry for the late reply. I'll contact you per private email to let you try at first if my solution will work for you.

Regards,
Florian

Carlos

2008-10-22 20:22:57

florian wrote:Hi Carlos,

sorry for the late reply. I'll contact you per private email to let you try at first if my solution will work for you.

Regards,
Florian
Hi Florian,
Thanks for your reply. I will work with you to try and work out a solution.
Thanks, Carlos

bcosta

2009-01-12 10:34:07

I am also interested in this feature. I am trying to use Midi Translator with an open source program called frets on fire. I am correctly translating events in most other applications, but FoF fails to see the events.

florian

2009-01-26 15:21:36

thanks, that's good to know!
Florian

ruediger

2009-01-27 08:48:18

Hi bcosta,

I tried frets on fire and it works. I think the trick is that you have to create two translators for one key. The one is key down, the other is key up. The same happens if you use the keyboard.

Here`s the preset:

Code: Select all

--------------- Preset frets on fire

Translator 1: green down
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI B0 6B 7F 
Outgoing: Key down: F1

Translator 2: green up
Incoming: MIDI B0 6B 00 
Outgoing: Key up: F1

Translator 3: red down
Incoming: MIDI B0 6C 7F 
Outgoing: Key down: F2

Translator 4: red up
Incoming: MIDI B0 6C 00 
Outgoing: Key up: F2

Translator 5: yellow down
Incoming: MIDI B0 6D 7F 
Outgoing: Key up: F3

Translator 6: yellow up
Incoming: MIDI B0 6D 00 
Outgoing: Key down: F3

Translator 7: blue down
Incoming: MIDI B0 6E 7F 
Outgoing: Key up: F4

Translator 8: blue up
Incoming: MIDI B0 6E 00 
Outgoing: Key down: F4

Translator 9: pink down
Incoming: MIDI B0 6F 7F 
Outgoing: Key down: F5

Translator 10: pink up
Incoming: MIDI B0 6F 00 
Outgoing: Key up: F5

Translator 11: PLAY DOWN
Incoming: MIDI B0 4F 7F 
Outgoing: Key down: EINGABE

Translator 12: PLAY UP
Incoming: MIDI B0 4F 00 
Outgoing: Key up: EINGABE
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Rüdi

P.S.: Please make a video. We are very interested in this.

krystal

2009-02-06 20:22:43

Hi, I tried Midi Translator with Frets on Fire (using this last trick, too) and Guitar Hero, but it doesn't works. I suppose for the DirectInput issue... :(
Florian, when the next release? In the meanwhile, please, can you add me to your beta list?
Thanks in advance,
Francesco

genfu

2009-02-07 23:37:03

Hi, I'm trying to get midi translator to work in Quake.. which it doesn't. It works on the console but not in the game itself. Any word if an update or beta is coming which fixes this DirectInput issue? thanks

ruediger

2009-02-09 09:44:14

Hi Franceso,

which version of Midi Translator are you using? And which Windows version? Crazy that it will not work, I have tried it and Frets on fire works on my computer.

Rüdi

ruediger

2009-02-09 09:45:33

Hi genfu,

same questions for you. Which versions and which version of Quake? Perhaps I can get it for cheap to try it out!

Rüdi

krystal

2009-02-09 19:45:13

ruediger wrote:Hi Franceso,

which version of Midi Translator are you using? And which Windows version? Crazy that it will not work, I have tried it and Frets on fire works on my computer.

Rüdi
MidiTranslatorAuthor1.6.1_Trial & Windows XP Pro SP2
I tried all combinations possible, but nothing!
No firewall, No AV, nothing else launched...
:(

ruediger

2009-02-10 11:40:28

Hi Franceso,

I figured it out and you are right. With the 1.6.1 it is not working. I tried it with our brand new version. This version was the result of our work to get it to run under MAC. We will release this version in windows too, but I don´t know when.

I will talk to the president of the company. Perhaps we can send you a pre-release version.

Regards,
Rüdi

StudioHaen

2009-03-23 20:41:25

I wouldn't mind testing that latest version on the Warhammer Online game. :)

florian

2009-03-27 17:38:40

Hi,

version 1.7 for Windows has a fixed keystroke emulation for DirectX games. Beta testers have confirmed that it works, though sometimes the keystrokes are emulated too fast. For that, you need to use timers to delay the "Key Up" event. MT Pro 1.7 ships with a preset for Guitar Hero that you can check out how to use such timers. Note that you'll probably need to adapt it to your MIDI controller, e-drums, etc.

Regards,
Florian

StudioHaen

2009-03-29 01:27:23

Hi,

It works perfectly in 1.7!
:D

I will try to capture a video to demonstrate the wonderful possibilities that gamers now can enjoy.

Will this be available in MT Classic?

florian

2009-03-31 22:02:21

Hi, ahh, didn't see this message yet, that's awesome!

Thanks, and don't forget the video :)

Florian

brick_prophet

2009-09-05 19:13:34

I have downloaded 1.70 pro trial version, and i'm experiencing wierd things.
Trying to get this running with Lord of the Rings Online, even using the same preset as a friend who got it working.

My midikeyb, a Midiman Radium 61 works fine.

Pressing C4 produces two q's when tried in notepad or msn. One when i'm pressing the key, one when i release.
Trying it in the LotRO chat window gives me the same result. If not in the chat window, i can use C3 (e.g. the "i" on my laptop) to access my inventory and so on.
Entering music mode and pressing "q" on the laptop produces a C4.
If i press C4 on the midikeyb i get silence.

I'm completely dumbstruck by this. What to do?

Thanks, B.

florian

2009-09-09 08:08:11

Hi brick_prophet, I'm contacting you by email for the preset.
Thanks,
Florian

florian

2009-11-17 21:30:55

Hi,

quite late reply... hope it's still useful!

Thanks for sending me the preset.

One thing I've seen in the preset: it uses this sort of translator for all keys:

Translator 0: C2
Incoming: MIDI 90 24 pp 
Outgoing: Keystroke: Q 
Now some MIDI keyboards send the MIDI NOTE ON (90 hex) message when pressing down the key, and NOTE OFF (80 hex) when you release the key. With those keyboards, the preset will work fine.

However, some (most) keyboards send MIDI NOTE ON with velocity of 0 when you release the key. Per the MIDI standard, that's equivalent to a MIDI NOTE OFF command.

Now if your keyboard behaves the latter way, the incoming action ("any NOTE ON message on key 24") will be triggered both when pressing and when releasing the key.

A simple fix is to add this rule to all translators:

if pp==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
This will prevent anything to happen when releasing the key.

However, I still don't know why it still won't work correctly (i.e. in the current version it should just play twice, when pressing+releasing a MIDI key).
You can try to change it this way (some people had more success with that):

Translator 0: C2 (down)
Incoming: MIDI 90 24 pp 
Rules: 
  if pp==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: Key down: Q

Translator 1: C2 (up)
Incoming: MIDI 90 24 00 
Outgoing: Key up: Q