newbie – expression pedal to pitch bend

ggmm

2016-10-24 20:30:27

I'm using the trial version of MT and trying not to get in too deep if MT isn't going to work for me.

I have a keyboard with no pitch bend. I'd like to use my expression pedal for pitch bend. Is this possible with MT?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there a link to 'standard' setup files anywhere? seems like express to pitch bend might be something others have set up already.

I messed around with MT enough to get it to do something but expression to pitch bend is beyond me at this point.

Thanks!
Greg

sjcaldwell

2016-10-24 21:08:56

Yes you can map any controller message to pitch bend message and visa versa.

sjcaldwell

2016-10-24 21:57:32

Here is an untested sample of using keyboard up and down arrow keys on Windows to control pitch bend messages. If you view log window you can see the value of pitch bend change and the output .

Again untested as I currently am not near my midi gear so only tested on my pc

Note some functions on free version do not work that do work on pro version

http://www.bome.com/products/miditransl ... ew/compare
Attachments
11topitchbend.bmtp
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

ggmm

2016-10-24 22:12:42

thanks for the file!

unfortunately, I'm getting this message:

For incoming keystrokes to work, you need to allow this program to control this computer. Select... blah, blah, blah.

I have my machine set up to allow MT to control it. No idea why it's not working?

sjcaldwell

2016-10-24 23:54:03

I don't thing the free version supports keystrokes and the file I sent used keystrokes since I did not have any midi equipment attached.

ggmm

2016-10-25 03:48:04

I thought the free version had all the bells/whistles... thanks for your help! I'm not going to mess with something that doesn't have all the features activated. I was hoping for a live demo.

thanks again for trying!

florian

2016-11-01 11:40:59

Hi,
the trial version of MIDI Translator Pro (20 minute timeout) has all features active, including incoming keystrokes and saving your project files. After the 20min timeout, you can save your project, restart MT Pro, and then continue where you've left off 5 seconds ago.

The confusion comes from:
  • the Classic edition, which is entirely free for private use, but does not support incoming keystrokes
  • the pop-up in the Pro edition when incoming keystrokes are used in the project file. On OS X, they prompt you to enable assistive technologies so that incoming keystrokes work. It's not a limitation of MT Pro, but a limitation of OS X. It's identical in the Trial version and the purchased Full version.
I hope I could shed some light on this.
Regards,
Florian

ggmm

2016-11-01 13:57:05

thanks for the comments... I got it to work in ControllerMate in 30 seconds. That programs graphic interface makes this stuff far more approachable for a non-technical person like me!